Apple Snail in my North East Pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
A couple of weeks ago I saw what I thought was a small rock moving in the pond. When I looked closer it was a snail and not the dime and quarter sized ones that are in there now. This guy is bigger than a gold ball. I looked on line and as far as I can tell its a Florida Apple Snail. He must of been in the pond for a while as he is HUGE. He must of hitched a ride on the water lettuce or other tropicals I've bought over the years.

My question is how can/did he survive? I live in Massachusetts! The pond is deep enough so it doesn't freeze solid. Do you think he'll survive if I leave him out there?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What color is it? The first photo is a mystery snail and the bottom photo are trap door snails which are more common in ponds.
goldies, bettas, pond fish 8-4-10 026.jpg

014.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, it COULD be a trap door snail! He's (Joe) is darkish brown. Its not the first picture. I'm going to try to retrieve the picture I have. Wish me luck...........

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mystery snails do come in several different colors including black. They are sometimes also called apple snails (I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between them if any) here is a good site with lot's of info on them: http://applesnail.net/

I'm pretty sure all the trap doors are dark though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
good job on sharing the photo

I'm not really sure which type of snail you have there. My trap doors are not that shiny. You are going to have to do a little research on the internet and see if you can identify which one you have in your pond. If it is a mystery snail I doubt it will live over the winter in your pond. The trap doors can survive cold winters.

How do you think he got in your pond? Those type of snails don't usually hitch a ride on live plants like the common pond snails might (they are very small)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is the mystery! How the heck did I miss seeing Joe long enough for him to get this big? I clean out the pond every spring and I'm ALWAYS looking in it the rest of the time. I asked my husband if he had snuck it in, or wondered if some "stranger" dropped it in there but, no. We are to rural and the pond is in the backyard so someone couldn't of snuck in. hahaha.

I hope Joe is a trapdoor. I'll research them. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Oh he'll live alright in there for the spring and summer. He won't make it through the winter though...I bring mine inside and put in my fish tanks over the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update!

Not only did I find Joe (the snail) I found a buddy! Both of them are the same size. I just couldn't believe my eyes when there were TWO of them in the skimmer! Per Seandelevan who says he brings his snails in over the winter, I bought a fish tank and both of them are in there now until at least May. The pond water is getting cool and a Apple snail site said they will stop moving and eating and die if the water gets to cool. Again, I'm in Mass and its getting cold here.

Now I need to find what food they like.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How cool that you found another one

I'm glad you brought them in for the winter

They will eat fish foods like shrimp pellets, algae tablets, or fresh veggies like blanched leaf lettuce or zucchini. Mine like the gel food I make up for my fish. They really will eat most anything once they realize it is food.

Ask a Question