approx 900g pond build in RI (pics of course)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
hi all i think this is the correct place to put a build thread and ask questions. i have wanted to put in a small pond in the back yard since we moved in 4 years ago and now it is finally time. my wife is on board with it. though i don't know how that happened :regular_waving_emot. and i have a few extra dollars i want to throw into yet another tank/hole full of water! the budget is about $1500 give or take, which should include all equipment liner and landscape material. this budget does not include fish or pond plants (where i think i will have most questions).

i have been in the reefkeeping hobby for many years and have become quite friendly with the local fish store owner over the years. he also sells pond/koi stuff. so most of my ideas have been bounced off of him, my wife's uncle (pond keeper for many years), and a few other friends who have ponds in the area.

i guess i will post a list of equipment that i have purchased. i may have spent more money then some but i have learned from reefkeeping that skimping a bit in the beginning just means expensive upgraded later down the line :).

tetra wgp 1900 pump
tetra waterfall box
tatra greenfree uv sterilizer

on order
pond liner
skimmerbox

200 dollars worth of electrical/misc plumbing parts

oh and i couldn't resist paying too much to get some large flat stone to see what my little waterfall will look like now.

ok some pics

here's where it will go. see the rope on the ground for shape ideas..that was not the final one

a6287f3d.jpg

i built this small retainer wall to keep dirt off the new fence and so i could build it up for my waterfall area

1157da75.jpg

i got started early and began digging....my wife got up and came out to see. she hated the "kidney bean" shape. we debated the shape then i changed it...how does she do that?

629ba42a.jpg

new rope = new shape

109f2a62.jpg

checking for depth. i want about 16 inches for the shallow plant shelf and about 30 for the deep area.
70101eaa.jpg

almost done

b16d537c.jpg

got the hole dug and a burm around the edge to prevent yard run off from entering the pond. i put the rocks there to see what my waterfall will kind of look like

24577fc8.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
ok so thats up to date as of today 6/25/11

i am gonna get the electrical out there wed and the liner comes in thursday. i guess i will go rock shopping this week as well.

did i mention that my wife throws her annual "christmas in july" party on the 30th so i would like to be up and running by then!

please comment and mention anything you think i may not have thought of!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cilyjr looking good. I was able to find all my rock in the area where they were building new homes not sure if that is an option for you or not, it takes longer doing it this way but you would be able to save some money. Since you are in Rhode Island I am not sure if 30" will be deep enough if you plan on keeping your fish in the pond all year, may want to consider going deeper.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nice looking reef, like how it is built into the wall. A buddy of mine had a 100 or 150 gallon can't remember but he recently sold it. How big is yours?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with above you may want to go deeper. Give your fish some warmish water to get through the winter.

Beautiful reef tank! love it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
the reef is 180g with a 75 sump and 2 20long tanks...about 220 gallons total of water when you minus all the rock....

i considered the depth but the people i talked to said about 2 feet was ok here....lol i dont know if my back will let me dig any deeper...also i was tole to keep a bubbler to keep an airhole in the winter. i would say that when the water freezes here it is usually about 6 inches

anyone else have an opinion on the depth?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is your zone? how cold does it get, here in maryland I am 6b we had 8 inches of ice on the pond this winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
my zone is 6b...

what should i put under the pond liner? there are no rooks but there are some roots?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Depends on the kind of liner, most require a underlayment. Some use old carpet, I tend to use carpet padding. You can also buy underlayment fabric.

Same zone as here.

As deep as you can make it will help, most likely your fish will be ok at 30 inches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
ok cool.. i can most likely squeak out a few more inches as i ordered a liner that was a bit too big because i wanted the waterfall and pond to all be one piece.

so now a fish question.. i am of the impression that koi eat alot of plant matter and can be destructive. so what is the balance? do those who have focused more on aquatic gardening prefer more common goldfish? or do you select your plants more carefully to those that the koi shy away from? in the reefing hobby it is much the same as there several species of fish who would love to dine on some of my more exotic coral. i dont keep those fish in my reef

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
really nice looking reef tank ,the colors really show up .Great job on the dig and remember sore muscle's mean you got something done .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have koi and goldies and goldies never touch my plants but my koi well lets say they are destructive to any and all plants .Koi put out a lot of waste and need good filtration and can grow to be very large .But koi seem to be more social .Goldies less waste a lot easier to take care of and koi also need a good aerator .I have learned not to feed my fish but every 2 days or so .They beg but I know they are not starving by the shear size of them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
ok thanks this is good info...for the moment i think i may lean towards goldies. i know a guy who is sort of a reef guru and he has a fish in his tank that eats only coral but he does not care because his colonies are so healthy that the balance of life is equaled out...maybe if i get some healthy plant life in the pond for a while i can add a koi or 2....i know my wife is dying to see some water lilies...there are several that are perennial for my zone i believe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
btw love the little dog in the hoodie....made me chuckle...maybe i will put a pic of my monsters too

Ask a Question