Aqua art retro drain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi all...Just wondering if anyone has experience using the Aqua Art Retro Drain in their ponds. The pond builders here (FL) that I am interviewing say they don't put in bottom drains since the water table is so high. So I am wondering if this would be an alternate means of keeping my pond cleaner...I realize it wont be as effective.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A bottom drain is not an open drain into the water table. It is really a pump return that is located on the bottom of the pond, so the water table level would not be a relevant concern.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A bottom drain is not an open drain into the water table. It is really a pump return that is located on the bottom of the pond, so the water table level would not be a relevant concern.
maybe Fla contractors can't/don't like installing plumbing underwater!!!! :giggle: :giggle:

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
maybe Fla contractors can't/don't like installing plumbing underwater!!!! :giggle: :giggle:
Perhaps, but I'd rather lay a pipe underwater than dig a hole or place a liner underwater...

Anyway, I don't know the specifics of Aqua Art's product, but I suppose laying the pipes/tubes over the liner 'retro style' could work just as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies guys...Unfortunately I have to rely on other people now that I am old:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
High water table has nothing to do to limit or eliminate a bottom drain. It's just more work for the builder, now if you have a crazy amount of subsurface water then a bottom drain then could be next to impossible,

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it is a question of cost, why not have the bottom drain pipes over the liner? Any repairs or maintenance down the road will also be much less expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If it is a question of cost, why not have the bottom drain pipes over the liner? Any repairs or maintenance down the road will also be much less expensive.
If I wanted a bottom drain, that's how I'D do it; like you said--easier to install, maintain, and replace. I'm all about that! Course, I'm one that doesn't believe you NEEd a bottom drain and doesn't have one, so...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
High water table has nothing to do to limit or eliminate a bottom drain. It's just more work for the builder, now if you have a crazy amount of subsurface water then a bottom drain then could be next to impossible,
Thank you for explaining this GBBUDD..that must be it..if this is the case do you think an Aqua Art Retro drain would be an option?
Thank you for that tip Marck:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
If I wanted a bottom drain, that's how I'D do it; like you said--easier to install, maintain, and replace. I'm all about that! Course, I'm one that doesn't believe you NEEd a bottom drain and doesn't have one, so...
Well I didn't think I needed one either until reading all of the posts on this site brokensword...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Many here feel a bottom drain is unnecessary. But from what I pull out of the basket I say it has its purpose. Would I buy a drain that looks like a turtle or anything . Nope but I'm not into the cute stuff you'd never find that bubbling pirate ship or the diving bell dog in any of my aquariums I prefer to replicate. Mother nature with wood, rocks, boulders, moss and plants.
But what I will suggest is to bury the piping and the bottom drain in a recessed trench INSIDE the pond . In other words before you place the liner once your dig for the pond is all done and the shape is complete . To then digg a 6 inch x 8 inch wide trench down the side of the pond down along the benches and down to the bottom of where the bottom drain also has a larger then it's self. Truck the fabric and liner in the trench when your setting the liner Then place the fabric and pipe and drain in the depression once plumbing is done back fill the trenc and around the drain with sand and peastone hiding the pipes with boulders etc . No penitrations needs so high water issue becomes mute

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
keep it simple stupid (not you! just an expression!)

View attachment 143807

Many here feel a bottom drain is unnecessary. But from what I pull out of the basket I say it has its purpose. Would I buy a drain that looks like a turtle or anything . Nope but I'm not into the cute stuff you'd never find that bubbling pirate ship or the diving bell dog in any of my aquariums I prefer to replicate. Mother nature with wood, rocks, boulders, moss and plants.
But what I will suggest is to bury the piping and the bottom drain in a recessed trench INSIDE the pond . In other words before you place the liner once your dig for the pond is all done and the shape is complete . To then digg a 6 inch x 8 inch wide trench down the side of the pond down along the benches and down to the bottom of where the bottom drain also has a larger then it's self. Truck the fabric and liner in the trench when your setting the liner Then place the fabric and pipe and drain in the depression once plumbing is done back fill the trenc and around the drain with sand and peastone hiding the pipes with boulders etc . No penitrations needs so high water issue becomes mute
great advice GBBUDD, thank you...

Ask a Question