aqua blocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Or milk crates. Did I screw up by not using them in my bog? I just laid pipes and dumped gravel on top, then turned the water on. One bog has been going like that for 2 years, and another will be starting on it's second year this spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think it will be fine! And I'm guessing more gravel means more surface area for bacterial colonization. I think the main reasons to use aqua blocks are to hold more water in that space and perhaps to have less rock to deal with. I think bogs work well either way. (Disclaimer - I don't have a bog yet, but I'm planning one.) If it is working well as is, you've answered your own question! :happy:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agreed, you are fine, both bog build methods work. The aqua block method, holds more water as mentioned and enables you to clean it out if ever necessary without tearing apart the bog, via the snorkel/pump vault. Many on here constructed their bog the way you did and have had it running for a long time with no need to clean it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll add my "yes" to this also - @addy1 built her big, beautiful bog with pea gravel and PVC. She can attest to the fact it works great!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw the pipe bog is more a back up if i ever have to do any advantages and disadvantages to both so i built both but the pea stone is more a back up if i ever have to rework the aquablock bog. And the aquablock bog i did a test and the plant roots filled this area like a living brillo pad. and the microscopic bacteria and the bugs and microorganisms can thrive in this ? cave? area.

Last edited:

Ask a Question