Aqua plants for shallow freezing water?

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Are there any plants that tolerate this combination (I'm fairly certain that no fish would survive this):

1. semi-shade
2. about 7-8 inches of water
3. complete freezing throughout the winter (zone 7a)
4. no mud or pebbles on the bottom (I can add this if needed but the other criteria cannot change)

Thanks

Reaction score
Iris would have no problems with that, but like most plants, they do need something to root in, but you can use baskets or pots or something. Im sure there are tons of other plants, but these I can attest from experience that they survive just fine in ice and semi shade.

edit: thats for the "train yard" ? I suggested it earlier, but will repeat: watercress.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks! and yes; I'm writing this down and will go looky

I guess I can put pebbles in the basket for the roots instead of soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
SE, you said you're sure no fish would survive this. I am in the far reaches of Northern New Jersey and my fish winter in the pond along with my perennial pond plants.I do not use a heater just a strong bubble stone. THis winter was one of the hardest in a long time and part of our pond is above ground, during the really deep snow we had to wade through a few feet of snow to check on the opening and on two occassions we had to help out as the whole was narrowing and pushed back some snow. This opening allows the gasses to escape.

You could do cattails, or grasses, this depends on if you are talking 7" to top or to bottom of pot.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Thanks Mary, you've got me thinking now about adding fish at some future point in time. Sounds to me like the bubble machine you use takes less electricity than a heating system would. I suppose an aquarium bubbler might work; maybe 2 small ones, one for backup just in case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
SE, a friend here who raises koi told us the only time he lost fish was when he used a heater. He only uses the bubbler. We put the pump under a buket that has wholes for the cord and tube. If the show is heavy and deep you may need to dig out the tube. We even had babies the first year and I only have lost a few fish over the last 2 winters. Good luck!

Ask a Question