Aquaponic Gardening

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Just curious if anybody here has done this with any success. I am talking about growing vegitables from their ponds. I have reaseached it some and there are people doing it with koi so I am giving it a go. Talapia are whats used normally and then you eat the fish too. :fish2:

I had a tomato plant and pepper plant but the cold snap hurt them some. I put the tomato plant on the right out last week and I see new growth already. It was started indoors from a clipping in a jar of water. This is all trial and error and any comments are welcome. Even to call me crazy. :biggrin: I will post pics of the progress.

The 2" pvc in the pics are temporary untill I build frames for the netting.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section mods. Move if needed.

Attachments

• DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 381

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmmm, that's very interesting. Never heard of it before but will be cool to see how it goes for you. You never have to water or fertilize.............just pick them when they are ripe :biggrin:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
No, this is a perfect place.

I had a guy stop by last year that is in to this. He takes his water from the pond and with a small pump sends it to a series of plastic raingutters. Inside them, he has styrene cups with holes in the bottom for the water and nutriants to feed the seedlings. The water is trapped by damming the end and placing a tube for return at the top of the end piece. So the dwell time gives the water and nutrients a chance to do their magic.

Lets get some of our creative minds going and see what develops. I challenge everyone interested to come up with and post thier ideas/pictures here.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have tried to start small seedlings in a similier fashion with pvc and 3" net pots attached to a 5' a frame. I may go back to that method for seedlings and then transfer into the bog.
The big thing I find is having enough fish to supply the nessasary nutrients and having enough oxygen.
Ideally a flood drain system is best and I will do that with timer on a pump.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
ive been doing a bit of reading on this and im going to try building a box to use on my raised pond as a filter and will give growing veg a go ... theres quite a lot of info on the net

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My wife always complains about how i don't take care of her tomato plants
this could be fun

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes not having to water or weed is a plus.:afro:

If you aren't pumping your fish waste into your garden you will be amazed at the difference once you start.

I think I might have it this time and am hoping to actually produce fruit. I have toyed with this since setting up my first pond.

Oh yeah I should mention the other problem you have is ph. Tomato's need it lower then the fish do to be really succesfull. I will post an update with my water parameters and plant progress soon.:fish2:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
When I rinse my skimmer/pre-filter, I rinse it into a bucket. I water as many potted plants as I can, and ten water the flower beds with what's left.

Happy ponding,

Rich :afro:

Ask a Question