Aquaponic system

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hey everybody. When I was surfing the Internet I came across the topic of home aquaponic systems. They are little, sufficient for home conditions. I would like to make one on my own, but I don't know how to start. I have got an aquarium, sth to aeration and a filter. I will grow here some herbs, but I am not sure what fishes will be good for this system. If someone has experience with this, please help me! Photos/tutorials/step by step/your advices - everything is welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm a big fan of The Pond Digger. I watched his tutorials for building my pond and then watched many of his other tutorials -- just because they were interesting. I believe he did a series on aquaponics -- look him up on You Tube!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have watched the pond digger, and found him a wealth of information. They sometimes have very small systems set up in pet stores as they did sell the whole setup once upon a time. My friend had one that he build himself to grow cuttings, it worked well too. Maybe if you see one working you will know what items you can use to build your own. Having herbs and fish together sounds like a great idea. Good luck with your project, and let us know how it works out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The American university of the Virgin Islands is the place to go to learn about aquaponics on line. They have been involved since 1979 I think. Lots of great information including diagrams and pictures. They base their design on talapia in very dense environments for harvesting, but koi will work just fine. There is a guy in buffalo ny who operates a koi farm/aquaponics farm that sells to restaurants and koi ponders. A simple approach is to use the Virgin Islands concept with shallow troughs and plants floating in styrofoam beds fed by a koi pond. You could grow basil, lettuce, and other herbs. Tomatoes are hard to grow in that format. For them you need piping and a higher density of fish.

Ask a Question