Aquaponics anyone tried it?

Reaction score
We've had a few discussions on aquaponics in our local forum. Unfortunately most web sites are from people who built their first system that afternoon and they're full of hope that it will produce tons of food. But few ever add any updates. Of the few updates I've seen the results aren't really very good. He's a video of an aquaponics farmer who's been doing it for awhile and earns money from it so he's serious about what works and doesn't. He has more videos. Best I've found.

There is a farm out here in AZ that started with a commercial aquaponic system. It didn't really work for them. They changed it to using water from the ponds to water regular crops...the water didn't go back into the ponds. This had some great benefits. They could adjust the water pH, add fertilizer if needed and the ponds got regular water changes which improves fish health. That's the type of system I'm planning. Here in AZ we're using a lot of water in the landscape even in desert landscapes. So I'd at least get 2 uses from the water and great pond water.

The 200' distance can be done by gravity. You would need a tank above ground near the pond and you'd have to pump up into that. But from there it's gravity, like a city water tower.

Ask a Question