Aquaponics in Mother Earth News

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Mother Earth News, June/July 2018 has an interesting article "Aquaponics in a Natural Pond". It's available online Here. There look to be some interesting thoughts in the article. I never thought of using my bog filter to grow vegetables! I may have to give this a limited try in the greenhouse with a small preformed pond this winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Very happy you posted this. I have an old ladder that I want to convert into a bridge for my pond, but use the rungs to hold plants and veg. I'm sure lettuce would do great, right near the waterfall. Lettuce grown in aquaponics have done better with very oxygenated water, so now lettuce farms pump high levels of oxygen into their water to yield a larger lettuce. Lettuce grown without the extra oxygen do fine, they are just smaller. So growing in a pond makes sense. Wish I had a greenhouse, something I need to work on. If you do try to grow anything this winter, I hope you let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Good info. I’d done a bit of research and 1 failed attempt at this,I haven’t given up yet!

Ask a Question