Aquaponics/vegetative filter

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Not finished yet but so far so good. Still need to grab another bag of cat litter out of storage to build up the growing medium. This recirculates water from the pond and aside from a few pond plants, mint, watercress and other aquatic edibles will be the main occupants. The plants will help consume excess nutrients in the water as well. This isn't really intended to be a water feature but might as well double as one. The "fountain" is the water-in from the pond and its main purposes are to minimize surface turbulence while keeping the outlet above the waterline to prevent water from draining out the inlet when the pump is shut off.

Aquaponics 1.jpg
Aquaponics 2.jpg

Needs more cat litter. Desired depth between the water surface and the cat litter is less than 3 inches so much shallower what what's in the picture.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Very cool idea! I've been wanted to use my pond water for aquaponics, but still need to get all the parts I need for the plumbing. Can you include a photo to show how your plumbing is set up?

FountainMan

Reaction score
Very cool idea! I've been wanted to use my pond water for aquaponics, but still need to get all the parts I need for the plumbing. Can you include a photo to show how your plumbing is set up?
I forgot to get pictures of the internal plumbing. Covered the internal plumbing with cat litter last night. I used a lot of 1/2” MPT to FPT PVC elbows to achieve a swing arm apparatus for the fountain and drain out. Bulkhead fittings allow the container to be plumbed through the plastic without causing a leak. I’ll get pictures of the external plumbing when I get home later today.

Last edited:

FountainMan

Reaction score
Built this to illustrate the inner plumbing that's covered by the cat litter. The fountainhead attaches to the white PVC elbow on the end at the top of the picture.

Pipe flex arm.jpg

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Thanks, @FountainMan ! Very helpful indeed! I may even have some of the parts to do one of those. Lots of leftover bits from putting in a drip system last year. I also like how you decorated the boxes...nice touch!

FountainMan

Reaction score
Coming along nicely! I wanted to do a watercress in here but it seems the local stores aren’t selling it anymore.
FA4AA002-B408-4656-B780-9F055EECDB4F.jpeg

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Looks great! I've heard that people buy watercress at the supermarket and just plunk it in.

Ask a Question