Aquarium fish question

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I know there are several here that keep fish other than just in ponds, I have a large green Terror cichlid. about 12" long, I've had it for about ten years, I have been noticing over the last five or six months that it seems to be losing weight in the belly area, It eats well, all the water checks out fine,(Ph 7.5 Ammonia 0.012, Nitrite 0 nitrate reading 0, temp 80 degrees) the rest of the fish don't seem to be doing this. Any ideas what might be going on or what could be causing this. He's still very active and bossy, Very alert, no other signs of anything thing else going on. He is the largest fish in a 75 gallon aquarium. Doesn't really appear to be sick just looks under fed although I know he gets plenty of food and a good variaty of treat foods, such as blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, Fd krill, chopped earthworms, and their standard food. he also likes green beans and peas, so I do give him a few every once in a while but normally use spirallina pellets instead as they are less messy for the fish tank.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well according to sites on the net life expectancy is around 11 years for that fish. Maybe yours is coming close. i.e. old age.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
vertigo72 said:
Tapeworm?
Perhaps try the fake-heron-attack-test lol:
The link doesn't work, but it could be a possibility.

addy1 said:
Well according to sites on the net life expectancy is around 11 years for that fish. Maybe yours is coming close. i.e. old age.

It could be, he breed with a female for about four years and then one day beat her all up and she never recovered. After that he calmed down and has really been pretty cool. Other than the shrunken belly area he acts and seems fine.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The link works, read the instructions. You have to click it again and then you are redirected to youtube.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Guess i have something blocking it, I hit the watch it on Youtube and nothing happens. I can hear a sound like it's being blocked. Going to search it directly.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Do you have an anti virus software where you have to tell it to allow the link? I use a Corporate Version of Symantec software and some sites are flagged. I have to give approval to procede.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I do but it doesn't ask, I just had it installed two weeks ago and this is like the third time this has happened, I have to go to the PC guy and find out how to get around it but I found it searching.
Interesting and it could be a tape worm but I'm skeptical. He sure doesn't act like the symptoms of the sickle back. Plus on the sickleback the belly was swollen this is just the opposite.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow! That was pretty amazing. The tapeworm affect the behavior of the fish and makes the fish easier to catch by the bird so the tapeworm can continue on with it's cycle.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pretty interesting but still gross to watch that creepy tapeworm moving after being cut from the fishes gut :yikesu:

Ask a Question