Aquarium powerheads for pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm making a plan for jets in my pond where I expect to have some dead spots. Rather than running a bunch of plumbing, I've been looking into using low voltage powerheads in these locations. As far as I know, Aquascape is the only company that makes this type of product specifically for ponds. They advertise delivery of 2,000 gph of circulation with 40w of power.

But there are lots of aquarium-focused products that advertise higher flow in lower power consumption.

Is there a practical difference between Aquascape's pond powerhead and all the other ones designed for aquariums? Prehaps build quality is more rugged/durable? Anything else?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aquascapes has a so so rep for lasting a long time with there electrical products. i have only used there low volt lights

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've never had an issue with our aquascape pumps. We had one that broke due to installer error - the guy put it in for us forgot the guard that goes over the blade thing-y and in 20 seconds it sucked in a small piece of gravel and that was the end of that. But the rest of our pumps (we are now running four total) have all been reliable, ten years in.

Those power head jets are intriguing... we have one spot in our pond that I wouldn't mind adding one and I like the fact they are moveable as opposed to needing to be installed in the pond.

Sorry @combatwombat - none of that answered your question!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It helped with what I have been told that there electrics weren't so reliable . Ten years works for me running 24/7

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The problem you are going to have with aquarium power heads is they are going to clog quickly. There is so much debris floating in our ponds that it is going to get sucked against the intake.

I just put in two Aquascape low volt power heads into the new pond addition, will see how they hold up. They do a decent job at pushing the water, kind of have them pushing stuff into the intake bay at the moment. Will see how that works or I may need to turn the one so the flow is more circular.

I use all aquascape pumps in my ponds and have yet to replace one in the 11 years, since I built the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Proven wrong see what happens when you listen to the internet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jhn: Makes perfect sense. Exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, too. Had the thought to put them down low (4' deep) as well to push debris that makes it down there to the other end where a pump can pick it up. Not sure if they perform as well when placed deep, though? Gotta go consult a fluid dynamics textbook or something...?

Discussing this strategy a bit more in this thread.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would be another vote to push surface toward skimmer or intake

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Jhn: Makes perfect sense. Exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, too. Had the thought to put them down low (4' deep) as well to push debris that makes it down there to the other end where a pump can pick it up. Not sure if they perform as well when placed deep, though? Gotta go consult a fluid dynamics textbook or something...?

Discussing this strategy a bit more in this thread.
a thought, CW; with jets low, you will probably disturb any 'crystal clear' water you're hoping for, imo. I know when I disturb my pond bottom, and especially with a lot of fish, it takes a while unitl everything settles again and I can see the fish again. Of course, if you're planning on having a sterile clean bottom, I don't see the problem. But I guess you can at least try and see if the effect is worth it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I understand the desire to circulate the bottom but I fear it's only going to push it to the weaker areas where there is less circulation it won't have enough strength to do as your thinking however. The way my original design was set up was to have tge falls discharge so I had a counter clockwise flow. The return jets were also directed in the counter clock wise flow and the skimmer was placed closer to the falls then it was across from the falls people said I was nuts but it work great any leaf or plant matter ended up in the skimmerer within 3 trips around the pond. Thats how you keep your bottom clear catch it before it has a chance to sink.

Ask a Question