Aquarium water to fill a pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
2-3 x a week I am draining 50 gallons of water from my discus tank for water changes. I just finished setting up 55 gal drums to house the water to use for watering the lawn and flowers. Would the aquarium water be safe to use in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Its already got organic waste in it, great for plants but extra work for the pond filtration.
That was one of my concerns. With the number of weekly water changes on the aquarium I thought the organic load would be minimal. Of course I have no way of measuring this.
My main concern is would there be parasites or other nasties from the discus tank that would enter the pond and wreck havoc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That was one of my concerns. With the number of weekly water changes on the aquarium I thought the organic load would be minimal. Of course I have no way of measuring this.
My main concern is would there be parasites or other nasties from the discus tank that would enter the pond and wreck havoc.

I agree, it's not worth the risk to your pond fish. I would stick to using the discarded pond water for the lawn and plants.

Ask a Question