Aquascape centipede/snorkel system — please demystify for me!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 and anyone else who uses this system for pond filtration, can you please help me understand how it all goes together, how and why it works well, can it function as a bog, are there size limitations, how easy is it to maintain, and any other questions you can think of that I didn’t mention.

I guess, mainly, what I’m wanting to know is can it function as a bog, and can it be used for smaller ponds?

As some of you know, we moved about 18 months ago and had to have our DIY pond deconstructed. Right now, my goldfish, snails, and plants are living in a 300 gal stock tank and an intex pool in our backyard. We plan to build a new pond from scratch, but have it done professionally this time. We’re now having to wait due to the Covid-19 situation, as we don’t want to tie up our $$ in case there are future cash flow issues. So, more time to think about it!

I thought that starting out with, rather than retro-fitting a system like this would make sense.

My pond plans so far are:
  • Size between 1000 - 2000 gallons
  • no deeper than 3 feet, maybe around 2 1/2 feet (our winters are mild, but our summers are brutal, plus we live near a lake with flying predators!)
  • Goldfish and plants
  • it will [somehow] tie it in with a box turtle habitat, to give them a fresh water source (a little “beach” area)
  • I want it partially above ground ( maybe a foot), 1) easier for old bones to access it, and 2) we have high water table
  • will be primarily filtered by a bog (but will probably have some supplemental filtration)
I know there’s more I want to ask about, but my brain isn’t talking to me right now. Oh yeah, this is NW Louisiana. Our soil is mostly clay, with a high water table.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We use a centipede and snorkel in both our rain exchange and our bog. One flows up, the other flows down. The biggest advantage for us was it's all built for you. You just snap it all together. With one snorkel you can have multiple centipedes if you want, going off in two, three or four directions. In our case, we have the snorkel near the edge and one centipede extending horizontally into the space. Add a couple of aquablox and some rock and gravel and you have a bog!

I do like having the snorkels. They are easy to access and would be easy if you ever need to do a clean out - so far we haven't used them that way, but are thinking of doing some minor pond clean out this spring, so this may be the year! The one in the rain exchange also acts as our pump housing since we don't have a skimmer on our pond.

The cons are 1. you are limited to the sizes they make and 2. they aren't cheap. If you were going to DIY I'm sure you could save lots of money, but if you're paying for labor, it may be a much closer comparison.

Happy to answer any other questions if I can! I'm not the most knowledgeable about pond construction, but I do have a good working understanding of our pond!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 I know I’ve asked this before, but could you post a few pictures and maybe explain what is where and what it’s doing? I’m a visual learner.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Mmathis

just redid my bog changing it to a snorkel and centipede with aquablox. Here is the link to the thread,

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/redesign-of-bog-wetland-filter.26516/

It has a bunch of pics in the thread, centipede is the horizontal piece that lays down in the trench, the centipede Attaches to the snorkel which is the vertical tube vault That sticks up just above the gravel. Then covered over with aqua blocks then softball size rock, then 2” rock then 3/4 pea stone. The water is pumped into the end of the centipede as it enters the centipede the flow slows down as it is open this allows any silt and sediment to settle out and work its way to the lowest point which is the snorkel vault, which then when needed can be pumped out through the top of the snorkel.

Hopefully pics in the thread will help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use a centipede and snorkel in both our rain exchange and our bog. One flows up, the other flows down. The biggest advantage for us was it's all built for you. You just snap it all together. With one snorkel you can have multiple centipedes if you want, going off in two, three or four directions. In our case, we have the snorkel near the edge and one centipede extending horizontally into the space. Add a couple of aquablox and some rock and gravel and you have a bog!

I do like having the snorkels. They are easy to access and would be easy if you ever need to do a clean out - so far we haven't used them that way, but are thinking of doing some minor pond clean out this spring, so this may be the year! The one in the rain exchange also acts as our pump housing since we don't have a skimmer on our pond.

The cons are 1. you are limited to the sizes they make and 2. they aren't cheap. If you were going to DIY I'm sure you could save lots of money, but if you're paying for labor, it may be a much closer comparison.

Happy to answer any other questions if I can! I'm not the most knowledgeable about pond construction, but I do have a good working understanding of our pond!

Ask a Question