Aquascape IonGen System - 2nd Generation (G2)

Reaction score
Hi Chaps

Can anyone help me out with some advice on the Aquascape IonGen?
I have a new pond, about 5 weeks with water. I'm not sure if my filter has cycled yet. My Amonia reads 0, so I'm thinking it might not have yet.
Yesterday I installed one of the new Aquascape Ionizers, has anyone else got one? If so, how is it performing for you? My water is quite green at the moment. I have been told this is normal before the filter matures. Will the Ionizer clear my water and make it all crystal clear again?
Also, I've been using AquaMeds Clear Shine to give me some temporary relief from the green problem. Of course, this clogged up my filter media with green stuff, so I took it out and hosed it down with well water yesterday. I only thought this morning, could I have done damage to my good bacteria during the rinsing? I'm hoping most if not all the bacteria stayed with the media, could I have damaged anything doing the cleaning?
I attach a pic showing my green...
Any advice/ideas would be gratefully received!
Thanks in advance
Regards

Attachments

• Pond_9.jpg
    Pond_9.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 780
Reaction score
Ion
If you do a search for ion system for swimming pools you will find more info since they have a longer history in pools. Some of the points you might be interested in is whether your unit is using copper ion. Toxic to fish but if the unit works properly it will try and keep the amount of copper low enough so your fish should survive for years. If it messes up, well, you'll have one clue as to why the fish died. However you wouldn't be able to prove it was the copper or the ionizer was the source of all the copper.

A more important point you may be interested in is whether the unit clears your water. In the swimming pool market the ionizers ran into a problem because the ionizers couldn't keep up with algae growth sometimes. Basically the water had to be crystal clear and then the ionizer could keep it clear, in theory. But from time to time algae grew faster and owners were told to shock the pool with chlorine. This happened so much people started to wonder what was the point of the ionizer if they still had to add chlorine. Lots of swimming pool forums you can check for that info.

In a pond the ionizer has to walk a tight rope of releasing too many copper ions and killing fish or not releasing enough and the water staying green.

Clear Shine
I guess that was the point of adding "Clear Shine", to try and kill the algae that the ionizer is suppose to be killing? Kind of sums things up right there. I went to AquaMeds web site and they don't say anything about what "Clear Shine" is, not even MSDS. There is a rather ominous warning about to "not use other treatments". An ionizer is another treatment imo. With warnings about not adding too much I assume the "Clear Shine" is toxic to fish, but don't know, AquaMeds isn't saying. Because the algae floats I assume there's also a flocculant in the product, but don't know. I'm not big on adding stuff to a pond without knowing exactly what it is, but that's just me.

I'm interested to hear how much the ionizer cost and how long the seller said it would take to clear the pond. A properly sized and installed UV filter would clear the pond in 3-7 days, every time. I assume a UV would cost the same or less than an ionizer. Zero toxicity to fish which is a plus. Not sure why you would pick an ionizer over a UV.

UV
With a UV filter you can often turn off the unit once the pond is clear and the pond will stay clear long term. This type of clearing is a biological function. By killing the algae the UV allows the biological function to take place. However this is hit and miss, and more miss in new ponds that haven't added any potted plants which bring string algae (the biological function imo). I don't know if this is true for an ionizer.

Bio Filter
Don't worry about the bacteria in the bio filter, there wasn't any good bacteria to speak of in there. The green water algae consume ammonia to reproduce so they would be using all available ammonia. Bio filters require ammonia to reproduce, it's their food. So no ammonia, no bacteria. Your current bio filter isn't your filter, it's the algae.

A bio filter is said to be cycled when ammonia levels climb and then drop followed by nitrites climbing and falling. At that point the bio filter has enough bacteria to handle the fish load.

In your case when or if the pond clears, for whatever reason, you will have lost your "bio filter", the algae. At that point you'll want to measure ammonia and nitrite to make sure you don't kill your fish, assuming you have fish. I don't know your fish load, could be your bio filter isn't needed at all.

That you had to clean the "bio filter" means it's a poor bio filter compared to other options like Trickle Tower and Bakki Shower filters. It isn't the cleaning that would kill good bacteria it's that they can't live in that environment. They need access to the ammonia, nitrite, O2 in the water and can't when covered in dead organic matter. It's like if you were wearing a diving helmet at an all you can eat buffet, you'd starve.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Waterbug, very informative!
I paid $240 for the Ionizer, and was assured by the retailer that the new generation Aquascape IonGen was the thing to have for algae control. Your post throws out several questions as to the ionizers efficiency/safety... I had originally planned on a UV clarifier, but got talking to the retailer and went with the ionizer, mainly because the guy assured me it worked and the UV route would have cost me over a grand for a pond my size!
I guess time will tell... I'll post here my experiences with the IonGen...

Reaction score
Some UV units can really come with outrageous price tags, but not all of them are so over priced.The lighting part of the unit is nothing more that a typical fluorescent bulb with the phosphorescent coating removed, beyond that you will pay for the water tight housing and that is where you can find a difference in quality. Having said that you can buy a inexpensive UV unit big enough for your pond for under $100.
I have never found a person in any retail store that had much of a clue what he was talking about when it came to ponds, and that goes for the people in all the stores I have been in that sell lots of pond supplies. I am sure there are some out there, but I have never come across one yet.

Reaction score
Mucky_Waters
Thanks for the input!
I'm beginning to learn about the retailers! They are much the same in the marine aquarium trade...
This is what my local pond shop offered as an alternative to the ionizer - 11120 - Aqua Ultraviolet 120 watt UV, 2" w/unions, w/o wiper @ $850...
The 55 Watt Jebao unit you mention claims max of 15000 gal which is well inside my pond size...
Should I cut my losses and get one of these too, or do people who know more than I think that might be overkill at this stage??

Reaction score
I would try that ionizer for a while and see what it is going to do for your pond before buying (or trying) anything else, otherwise you will never know what is really working when your pond clears up. In fact you should report your results back in this forum. In fact your results are only meaningful if you if you are not combining multiple remedies at the same time.

BTW what is the size of your pond? It looks about 3,000 gal.

Reaction score
I think your right, I'll see how it goes with the ionizer. If it's not performing well by early summer next year I'll swap it out with a UV filter and see how that works out.
I think my pond is around 9000 or 10,000 US gals, oval shape 30x18x2'6" average depth...

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on unit cost. At this point I'd give the ionizer the length of time the retailer said it would take to clear the pond. If the retailer didn't give a time frame I'd call and ask for one. If the retailer won't give a time frame, or only a general time like "someday" or the time is a lot longer than 7 days I would use the time frame a UV provides since that is the standard. So if the pond isn't clear in 7 days I'd take it back to the retailer and get my money returned. Crap pond products sell because people buy them and don't return them. If they got returned they'd be off the market. Retailers just sell stuff. It's consumers who dictate what stays on the market.

If you return the ionizer get a UV online, but only if you're willing to research and follow directions. Most people don't have the time or desire but think they can just wing it. If you're in that boat you're much better off spending what time you have finding a good pond builder and letting them do it. Same standard, if the pond isn't clear in 7 days you shouldn't have to pay. If they know what their doing this is no problem.

You have two of the most common new ponder afflictions, Dositis and Learnsitis. If you want to understand how a pond works you have to do research. Learnsitis.is thinking that isn't needed, or listening to a retailer is enough, or asking questions in a forum. Retailers and forums are fine for learning what subjects you need to research. I can give you 10 answers to your green water problem, but without actual learning on your part you'll have no idea which is best for your pond and you're likely pick the most expense, most complex and least likely to work.

Without basic learning many people keep adding stuff to the pond. More filters, more chemicals, more everything. Dositis. Sure way to raise your stress, lower pond quality and kill fish. If you don't know why you're adding stuff, how it basically works and how it interacts with other stuff you've added you shouldn't be adding stuff.

Reaction score
The retailer said it could take 4 weeks to clear the pond...
I thought I had done a reasonable amount to research into how and what equipment I would need to put together a DIY pond. I asked several retailers and took advice from 2 landscape companies who specialize in water features, but it seems, clearly, I got questionable responses/advice.
This is very much a similar learning curve I went through with my 180gal marine aquarium, I found that, literally, whoever you asked about a specific problem or issue I would never get the same answer 2 times in a row! Very frustrating!
The feedback I'm getting from here is a little worrying, I really wish I hadn't brought all that stone now! The first pond guy a spoke with said it was important to completely cover the liner with stone to mitigate the heat gain on hot days. Not sure what to do on the stone front right now, as it would be such a pain to remove them. I think I'm going to give it a year and see how much of a maintenance problem they are.
I think I have to also give the Ionizer a full 4 weeks to see if it clears the green, if it doesn't I will take it back and insert it in the retailer!
If I go down the UV road, how many Watts would I need for a pond of my size? Another thing I'm taking a major guess on is the capacity of the pond, it does measure just under 30' at it's widest by about 18, but it slims down to probably 11' and the depth goes from less than a foot at the waterfall end deepening to about 4' at it's deepest at the skimmer end. If I take the average of these numbers and run one of the pond calculators it's coming out at right about 7500 US gals. I have my 150 gal filter filled with 2 sheet of blue Matala pond filter mats, 2 layers of coarse / fine filter mats on top of that, then 3 large bags of lava rock and 3 bags containing a total of 2000 1.25" bio balls. My pump is flowing about 6500 gal/hr. I do have a bottom drain, but it doesn't have a settling tank, it's just piped direct into the filter.
I attached some pics to give an idea of what I've done.
I'd really appreciate any ideas/advice on which way to go next!
Thanks so much for all the input I've had so far!
Thanks
regards
PS. sorry about the length of the post, I rambled on a bit!!

Attachments

• Pond_8.jpg
    Pond_8.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 654
  • Pond_4.jpg
    Pond_4.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 583
  • Pond_9.jpg
    Pond_9.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 612
  • Pond_6.jpg
    Pond_6.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 631
Reaction score
literally, whoever you asked about a specific problem or issue I would never get the same answer 2 times in a row! Very frustrating
True on every subject. Everyone loves to give an opinion. So imo (pun intended) I've found it useful to ask them to explain their thinking. Many refuse, they're just repeating someone else's opinion. That narrows down the crowd. I listen to their reasoning and do a web search when I get home. Then I can form my own opinion and try a course of action. Right or wrong I'm going to learn something.

Forums are great place to get opinions. Question is how does that help? My Mother has the opinion that bees bury their hives at night and then dig them up in the morning. I was the one who told her this when I was 12 as a joke. It stuck in her head and to this day believes it despite me telling her that I was the one who told her as a joke. Opinions are pretty worthless I think because everyone already owns more than they know what to do with.

The feedback I'm getting from here is a little worrying, I really wish I hadn't brought all that stone now! The first pond guy a spoke with said it was important to completely cover the liner with stone to mitigate the heat gain on hot days.
Sounds like BS to me. Yes black liner would gain heat, but rocks are going to normally be covered with stuff that's dark. The follow up question can be "Oh, how much of a temp gain"? And then "where can I find more info on that"?

Not sure what to do on the stone front right now, as it would be such a pain to remove them. I think I'm going to give it a year and see how much of a maintenance problem they are.
Yeah they're already in, no point worrying about it today. People are either for rocks or against rocks in a pond. Both have no idea what their talking about. They just like to bash each other. Been going on in pond forums for many years. There is one and only one benefit to rocks and that's aesthetic. If you like rocks enough to make the maintenance worthwhile you keep the rocks. Otherwise they go. Lot's of people won't even put in a pond at all because of maintenance. It's just a line in the sand that you have to decide for yourself. For me I like the look of rock and mortar them in so maintenance even easier than bare liner. But OMG, can't say that to an anti rock person or a pro rock person. No way is maintenance easier than bare liner!!! Ever keep a non-bare liner pond? Well, no, but I know for a fact all my opinions are true. Open mindedness has never been a human strength.

In a high fish load pond rocks are another matter. Those ponds have to be kept spotless or fish die. In these ponds rocks are not an option, nor are plants or anything other than fish and water.

I think I have to also give the Ionizer a full 4 weeks to see if it clears the green, if it doesn't I will take it back and insert it in the retailer!
I would too as long as I didn't have expensive fish. I would not be mad at the retailer, they were just doing what they're suppose to do, sell you stuff. I have no idea where this idea came about that retailers are experts on anything other than selling. If they're willing to take back the product and stand by their word I'd count them a fine retailer.

If I go down the UV road, how many Watts would I need for a pond of my size?
Don't ask here. Go to the UV web site of your choice and they'll tell you. If the info is hard to find move to the next. I like AquaUV because they provide a lot of details and little hype. Good manufacturers don't have to hype products and hide details.

Another thing I'm taking a major guess on is the capacity of the pond, it does measure just under 30' at it's widest by about 18, but it slims down to probably 11' and the depth goes from less than a foot at the waterfall end deepening to about 4' at it's deepest at the skimmer end. If I take the average of these numbers and run one of the pond calculators it's coming out at right about 7500 US gals.
That's close enough for a UV. The specs you read will be for the max pond size and pump flow rate. So for the AquaUV as an example you would want the 80 watt unit. Also Google "UV wiper" to decide if you want a wiper on the unit.

You need to understand the difference between "sterilizer" and "clarifier" in order to compare apples to apples. Every UV can be used as either a sterilizer and clarifier, the only difference is the speed at which water goes thru the unit. As you reduce the speed the water is exposed to the UV light longer, killing more stuff. Sterilizer is just the term used to say 99.9% of all live things going into the filter are dead coming out. You only need clarifier speed to kill green water algae.

If you do install a UV be sure to follow instructions. Many people install them upside down. Also put a ball valve before the unit so you can control flow. Really green water will require slower water. So, if the water isn't clear in like 5 days you want to turn it down by say 25%. Repeat. If still not clear there is a problem with the install. After the pond is clear you can increase flow and see if the pond stays clear.

I have my 150 gal filter filled with 2 sheet of blue Matala pond filter mats, 2 layers of coarse / fine filter mats on top of that, then 3 large bags of lava rock and 3 bags containing a total of 2000 1.25" bio balls. My pump is flowing about 6500 gal/hr. I do have a bottom drain, but it doesn't have a settling tank, it's just piped direct into the filter.
That's a pretty bad filter system imo. 15-20 years ago it was state of the art. You will find many people today who still think it's state of the art. They also think hand crank party line phones are state of the art. Submerged non-moving media (lava rock, bio balls) is not a very good bio filter even in a decent filter. In filter that's connected to a bottom drain they're probably worthless. The lava rock and bio balls can be reused in a Trickle Tower or Bakki Shower. Google "Trickle Tower" for lots of info. Easy to make and you almost never have to clean them. So the build time pay back is pretty fast.

However, I don't know your fish load or how much food you feed. That's what drives a bio filter. You may not need any bio filter at all. Measuring ammonia (after pond clears) tells you whether you need a bio filter or more bio filter.

The other part of your filter is called mechanical, basically collects crap. That's the mats. Given your bottom drain is connected to this I would expect these mats will need to be cleaned every few days, maybe weekly depending on fish load, string algae, leaves, etc. For good water quality they would need to be cleaned daily. To me that's no fun. And also why better filters were developed. Current state of the art would be a sieve filter which is basically self cleaning, meaning crap is removed from the water column 24/7. It still needs to be dumped out. If you want really clear water or better water quality a sand and gravel filter would be added.

Your filter is what I call a combo filter. It's trying to do both bio and mechanical at the same time and can do neither very well. However they're well liked by new pond keepers because they're simple and sound good. It all comes down to the kind of pond you want and how much work you want to do. A lot of work on the front end in on research and pond building means a lot less work later. Yin and yang, pay today or pay tomorrow.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you don't have any Tangential Pond Returns (TPRs)? From everything else I'd assume not. These are what push crap to the drain opening. Without these crap still accumulates on about 90% of the bottom and so the drain is almost worthless. On the plus side you filter will require less cleaning. TPRs are easy to add after the fact.

No skimmer? Easily the biggest helper for little effort in keeping a pond clean.

Reaction score
Waterbug, thanks for the input.....I know have lots more to think about!
This garden pond hobby thing is a bit more involved than I thought!
I'm thinking right now my best option is to proceed slowly with caution, pick up as much knowledge as I can along the way.
Going to keep the fish load minimal for now, then I'm not going to overload my marginal filters.
TPRs sound like big power heads to me, am I right? Just like the 5 I have in my aquarium to create water movement / current..
I'm intending to make myself some sort of home made vacuum cleaner to assist with the cleaning of sludge/fish crap, much the same sort of thing as the siphon I'm using in my aquarium for water changes, except much bigger and powered by a pump and a 1 1/2" line. Suck all the crap out during a water change. Do other pond hobbyists do anything similar?
I do have a skimmer with a 12" inlet that catches quite a bit of the big stuff, and right before the pump I have a strainer pot which also works quite well, but I'm sure these don't do anywhere near as much as the sieve filters I looked at on Google.
My Ionizer is working much better than I had expected, the retailer guy said I needed about 4 weeks to see significant results, mines been running 5 days and although not crystal clear the water is much much clearer, I can now see the bottom of the deepest part of the pond with no problems, so I'm cautiously optimistic on the Ionizer front! I'll post some pics later...
Thanks again for all the replies/advice/ideas...

Reaction score
Sub I noticed your pond is full of rocks, but you still have exposed liner around the edge of your pond. You would be better of having it the other way round, having the rocks around the edge of your pond covering your exposed liner, and have a bare bottom pond which is a lot easier to keep clean and vacuum.
Not sure what your plans are for landscaping around the edge of your pond, but if you really would like a more natural looking pond with no exposed liner above the water line you could rock the edge in the way shown of the right side of the diagram below. To do this you could lower your water level and dig out a ledge along the edge of your pond below the existing water level and lay the liner down, place rocks on that ledge up to the old water level and then fold the liner over the rocks, slowly start filling the pond again and fold the liner back over the rocks and cover the folded part of the liner with more rocks checking the water level as you go for low spots.
This method really does make a much more appealing and natural looking edge to your pond than seeing that the liner all around the edge.The liner under the water eventually gets covered with algae and looks very natural, but where it is exposed at the water level and above ground always looks like rubber liner, that's why it's best to hide that part at least a few inches into the water.
gallery_3859_189_45197.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Mucky_Waters
As you can see, the pond is very much a work in progress state at the moment, very incomplete and unfinished.
After reading the posts on here, I think I may have screwed up on the rocks in the pond front, only time will tell if it's practical to keep clean.
My plans for the edge of the pond at the moment is to have some flat stones all round the outside overhanging the edge by about 4 or 5 inches, I'm hoping this will hid most, if not all, the liner above the water line not covered by rocks.
In an ideal world I would take most of the rocks out to make the cleaning easier, but that's just too much work right now, I'll see how bad my sludge cleaning issues are in the next couple of seasons...

Reaction score
I'm thinking right now my best option is to proceed slowly with caution, pick up as much knowledge as I can along the way.
Good plan imo.

Going to keep the fish load minimal for now, then I'm not going to overload my marginal filters.
Testing ammonia will always tell you if your bio filters are enough. Some ponds don't need any bio filters, some need top performing units. And it's still the same, testing ammonia tells a keeper if there's enough.

And since your pond is clearing you're loosing your primary bio filter...the algae. So over the next week it's important to test for ammonia.

TPRs sound like big power heads to me, am I right? Just like the 5 I have in my aquarium to create water movement / current..
Correct. They just set up a current to move stuff on the bottom to the drain.

I'm intending to make myself some sort of home made vacuum cleaner to assist with the cleaning of sludge/fish crap, much the same sort of thing as the siphon I'm using in my aquarium for water changes, except much bigger and powered by a pump and a 1 1/2" line. Suck all the crap out during a water change. Do other pond hobbyists do anything similar?
Yep. Here's my DIY page on building a Muck Mop for leaves, string algae, big stuff. And my Silt Vac for the fine stuff. The Silt Vac work like an aquarium siphon but for ponds on level ground and good siphon is difficult.

I do have a skimmer with a 12" inlet that catches quite a bit of the big stuff, and right before the pump I have a strainer pot which also works quite well
Excellent.

My Ionizer is working much better than I had expected, the retailer guy said I needed about 4 weeks to see significant results, mines been running 5 days and although not crystal clear the water is much much clearer, I can now see the bottom of the deepest part of the pond with no problems, so I'm cautiously optimistic on the Ionizer front! I'll post some pics later...
That's cool. However, you did add a chemical to kill the algae right? If I were you I'd still want to know if the ionizer is using copper ions.

Reaction score
Well, my ionizer is working really well...
These pics are after 8 days, no green! Very pleased...

Attachments

• IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 579
  • IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 525
  • IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 567

Ask a Question