Aquascaped ponds?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@brokensword (some are green, some are different colors, also some of these are just species so there are varieties.)
Cabomba
Mermaid weed
Amazon sword (its a tropical, pretty sure it can overwinter)
Vallisneria italia
Vallisneria leopard
Vallisneria (well you get the point, vallisneria)
Oh and jungle vallisneria.
added***:
Cabomba Fruitica (pretty)
And im still looking.

All of these plants (and like I said im looking at more) can be seen at a 4ft depth, and im pretty sure could overwinter in your pond...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, Nate; I'll take a look and see which I want to try. I imagine I'll have to start up some in an old aquarium, build up the resources, and plant them next spring. Probably best to wait until the water temp warms up in June? I don't think they'd transplant well from 60ish temp (basement temps) to probably 50s (the pond) in the spring.

I appreciate your effort and enthusiasm. Hopefully, I'll have something new to post next summer re aquascaping. Different colors/textures would be interesting to see and more so after they get established and before the lilies take over most of the surface, cutting off the light. The areas I'm thinking of will have a pretty good flow from the waterfall; are these varieties going to handle it okay?

Also, did you mean 'Cambomba Furcata'?

Also#2; when I look up many of your suggestions, they indicate they originate from southerly countries. C. Furcata is from S. America towards Cuba. I don't think they experience 33 degree waters...ah, is there an index website I can check for survival temps?

Also#3; looked up 'Mermaid' and it looked promising both for texture and color, but says it 'tolerates' 10 deg C, which I believe is 50 F; much too warm for what I experience in Michigan. Soooo, guess that one is out...

This I found when looking for C. Furcata; http://water-garden-blog.com/cabomba-perhaps-my-least-favorite-submerged-pond-plant/

Michael

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The areas I'm thinking of will have a pretty good flow from the waterfall; are these varieties going to handle it okay?
This will be extremely recommended, as the flow provides Co2 (little amounts) the plants in that area.
'Cambomba Furcata'?
Yea sorry, not the best typer ;)
I don't think they experience 33 degree waters...ah, is there an index website I can check for survival temps?
Most Aquatic Plants (in general) are Native Mostly to southerly areas or different continents around the world, that however is generally not where they come from when you order them, they are extremely hardy (reason I picked them out) so I thought maybe some could live in your winters. (I know dwarf sagitaria can but that's a carpet plant).

Anyway back to what I was saying, the plants will mostly come from the u.s. or u.k. they Will Not (and if they do don't buy them, either a scam or they will die on the way here) come from any other country, again other than the U.S. or U.K. (UK is a risk itself but good packaging youll be fine).
California is a HUGE supplier of plants, pond, and aquatic in general, as well as Florida and Georgia. They are the main state suppliers of plants like this, meaning they have been raised in hot areas like that, not Thailand.

Btw the cabomba that was in your link isn't furcata, or its just really unhealthy.
This is furcata:

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-6_8-40-9.jpeg
    upload_2017-8-6_8-40-9.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 172
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, Nate; I'll do some foraging and see what I come up with. As I said, I have limited 'open surface area' to admit any sun, let alone let me see what's growing below. But I like plants and this is just another facet to pond keeping, imo. I'm still leery of anything that says it originates in the southerly countries but I'll give a species or two a chance.

Michael

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
often it's hard to see the bottom of 4',

Turbidity is usually the controlling factor in maximum planting depth for aquatic plants. Unless water clarity is such to allow enough sunlight to penetrate to a depth of 4 feet, it will be difficult to grow many, if any, non-floating leaf plants,

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Turbidity is usually the controlling factor in maximum planting depth for aquatic plants. Unless water clarity is such to allow enough sunlight to penetrate to a depth of 4 feet, it will be difficult to grow many, if any, non-floating leaf plants,
I have seen the plants I listed (specially vallisneria) get up to 6ft tall.
They are some pretty hardy little boogers!

Good link btw to apc.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Vallesneria, Yes. Cabomba frucata, No.Many of these plants require exacting conditions that are not easily duplicated in a Garden Pond. Cabomba furcata requires soft, acidic water, for example.
If these plants were suitable for the average pond, I would think that they would be readily available through any pond plant dealer, not just specialty retailers.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cabomba furcata requires soft, acidic water,
Meyer I will have to disagree,
I myself in my 65 gallon traditional dutch am growing Cabomba furcate in 7.8 (with Co2 off)PH water.
Reason I suggested it, its a hardy sob.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer I will have to disagree,
I myself in my 65 gallon traditional dutch am growing Cabomba furcate in 7.8 (with Co2 off)PH water.
Reason I suggested it, its a hardy sob.

Just quoting what was found on the link that I posted in Post #54.
Who am I or anyone else supposed to believe?

BTW, Hardy implies temperature tolerance, not any water quality parameter..

Ask a Question