Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like some nice stuff, yep use it you should be ok

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answer..I am in zone 5(50's here currently)..so should I wait to plant it in my pond? I went ahead and put it in the aquatic soil inside one of those black planting baskets and it's currently in a cooler to keep it wet..should it be completely covered with water? This is my first tropical. Thank so much

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Amber, If you have 100% pure kitty litter, mix that with kitty litter 50/50 then top it with one inch of that soil. that by itself works great but adding the kitty litter gives extra nutrients, and the clay litter will soften so the new roots can get a better start. I've used that in the past and it works for all aquatic plants that I have tried it with, But for young lily's their root systems aren't very strong and I think the softer clay will help them in the long run get a good start. I also recommend waiting for about two weeks to feed the lily. give it a chance to get stable in the new enviroment before feeding, this gives the roots some time to spread out a little in serch for food. also remember, don't cover the bulb up completely, you want the crown to stick out of the planting media just a little.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tropical lily? Everything I have read is do not take out until water temperature is stable at 70 degrees. I did have a few that I kept in the basement over winter, stuck them outside, thought we were getting warm............nope lol. Anyways one is growing very small leaves one is not. They go dormant at lower temperatures and usually die. My pond is just hitting 70 and trying to stay there.

You should have it covered with water, at least 18 inches, keep it warm and it may start growing for you.

here is a way to keep over winter: and how to bring outside again:

Another, and some may find easier, method for over wintering day-blooming tropical waterlilies is to simply remove the potted lily from your pond around the first frost (preferably just before). Remove all of the leaves and stems, including any remaining buds, and place the container in a 55-65 degree F dark area in your home. Once the container is in place, ignore it for the next 4-5 months as it gradually loses its moisture to the room around it. This slow drying closely mimics the natural process by which most tropical lilies are forced into dormancy. Unlike hardy lilies (and other hardy plants for that matter), topical lilies don't normally experience a winter in the climatic zones where they originate, but instead enter a dry season. The lack of rainfall triggers a hormonal reaction in the tuber of the lily, causing it to form a husk-like covering on the outside of the tuber(s). This covering is what holds in the moisture and protects the lily from drying out entirely. In theory, a lily can be held in its dormant state for several months, though is recommended that they not be subjected to too long a period of dryness. Though this last method isn't a guarantee that you'll be able to keep your tropical alive from seson to season, it is certainly worth the attempt given the attraction of the tropical lily flowers (not to mention the annual cost associated with replacing a lily year after year). To start growth again in the spring, simply wait until the pond temperature is at least 70 degrees F, which usually isn't until mid-May/early June. At this time, place the container in the pond at the recommended depth for the lily (usually 18-24"). Within approximately 2-6 weeks, growth should be apparent, though not necessarily vigorous at first.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
blessedfamily said:
Thanks for the quick answer..I am in zone 5(50's here currently)..so should I wait to plant it in my pond? I went ahead and put it in the aquatic soil inside one of those black planting baskets and it's currently in a cooler to keep it wet..should it be completely covered with water? This is my first tropical. Thank so much

water temp is 50, or air temp. They won't really burst into growth until the water gets over 55-60f but 50f will not kill it. You want to start it with the pot about 12" from the surface, as soon as a couple of new leaves surface drop it down to 18" deep. In the winter the best thing to do is get something that can hold water and place it in it but allow it to go completely dormant (under 40 degress) they are a tropical so they need the rest and dormancy in order to produce flowers for the next year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks fishin, everything I read says 70 degrees lol

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Addy, I wouldn't argue that post one bit except, mine was already blooming when the water reached 70 degrees, it had been growing for well over a month prior to the pond reaching that temp. I also saw mine bloom all the way until late Nov. here and I know the water was well below 70 at that time too. Once the temp hit 50, it was completely done for the year.

I do want to try and over winter as the post states, that would be far easier than storing in a water tub and changing water out during the winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stuck mine in our basement, put water in a tub and forgot about it. It is growing nice little leaves now. I have zero experience with them glad yours show the net to be wrong!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I can tell you this, I doubt I buy any more tropical lily's. may trade for them but they cost to much and require for more care than hardy lily's. I do like the hardies batter. Plant and leave them there, Don't even have to drop them down to deeper water. Only problem with hardies is dividing them each spring. Tropicals seem to put out little bulblets (I guess that's a word...LOL) That can be picked up and repotted. Often they come loose from the fish digging and I'll just find them floating around with a leaf or two on them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The tropicals were a gift along with some nice hardies. So I did my best to keep them alive, they got here end of last summer. I like things I do not have to mess with, try to save etc. Plant and good luck mr plant lol. Most things I plant do well.

Yeah the tropicals have a bulb look to them.

Reaction score
Wow thanks everyone,my temp outside is in the 50's..I have no tested the pond water yet. So for now it is planted in a small container and I am told to leave it in there until roots start coming through the bottom then replant. What have you all used to plant your tropicals in? Oil pans? Baskets? Just curious as my hardies are just planted in the pond(in my rock bottom pond,yes I know bad bad Amber).. Also I have it in a cooler for now and I do not have water covering the top,I just made sure the crown was covered with water but I do have some pads on it so should they be submerged also? Basically fill the cooler to the top? Thanks everyone.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The lily will send its leave to the surface, they like around 18 inches of water over them.

I have my lilies in oil pans, with kitty litter from walmart (pure clay).
My water just hit 70 and hopefully might stay there for a while.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You want at least enough water for the little pads to stand up and be at the surface, I would say for now, 4-8" would be fine, Oil pans are the cheapest and best for the money to me. Nice and wide yet shallow enough that the lily still has to work to get the roots to the bottom.
18" deep is where you want them as soon as they are growing and warm enough to put in the pond, If your air temp is 50, your water is probably cooler than that so no don't put in the pond yet, being little and just sent. The more I think about it the warmer I think you need to see those water temps before adding. At least wait till the water gets 60. I would rather see you wait and it live then say it would be ok and shock it right now.

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone..so now I need to go out and fill the cooler :lol: I will wait a few weeks for my water to warm up..crazy weather doesn't want to make up it's mind, 70-90's one minute and 50's the next grrrr..Thanks for all this information you all are great.

Ask a Question