Aquatic plants for indoor tank

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I might double-post this......to hit the "aquatic plant" forum AND the "indoor tank" forum......

What are some good and dependable plants for an indoor tank? In the past I just used what I pulled from the pond, but hornwort & ancharis never did well :) and weren't really the look I was going for.

This is a 20 gal. tank, 20H, I believe. I am keeping a bare bottom [the tank.....], but maybe there is something that would grow in a nice, low bowl -- with kitty litter, sand, gravel, marbles, etc.... -- as a substrate?

Don't need a lot plantings, but something so the tank doesn't look bare [with it's bare bottom, LOL!]. I will have a couple of goldfish in the tank -- some of my fry from this spring -- just some nice ones to look at and take care of over the winter months.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Java fern is a good one to go with if you don't want the goldfish eating it (mine have never even tried to eat it) it does decent in low light too. If you tie it to a rock or some other type of decor the roots will eventually take hold.

I also have anubias that is attached to a stone (I bought it that way from Petco) it has done decent in my tank. Has grown some and the goldfish don't seem to bother it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question