Aquatic plants for indoor tank....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I might double-post this......to hit the "aquatic plant" forum AND the "indoor tank" forum......

What are some good and dependable plants for an indoor tank? In the past I just used what I pulled from the pond, but hornwort & ancharis never did well :) and weren't really the look I was going for.

This is a 20 gal. tank, 20H, I believe. I am keeping a bare bottom [the tank.....], but maybe there is something that would grow in a nice, low bowl -- with kitty litter, sand, gravel, marbles, etc.... -- as a substrate?

Don't need a lot plantings, but something so the tank doesn't look bare [with it's bare bottom, LOL!]. I will have a couple of goldfish in the tank -- some of my fry from this spring -- just some nice ones to look at and take care of over the winter months.

Reaction score
I wish I knew the names of my plants, three I just bought from the pet store (I think one is swords leaf or something like that) and the other one that is really nice and grows like a weed is a weed I pulled out of a local shallow pond.

I think one of the most important things is to have the right lighting in the tank. There are special bulbs for growing plants.

Good luck finding some. I really love the look of live plants in the tank, and they help to balance out the system. I don't clean my tanks as often because the plants seem to use up some of the waste.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I posted in your other thread but am going to post here too (I don't want to miss any replies)

I have marimo moss balls in a few of my tanks. Most of them have held up well (kept their shape) although I have had a few fall a part (mabey fish picking at them?) They seem to do just fine in a low light tank.

I also have amazon sword plants (planted in clay pots with gravel covering the dirt) They are heavy root feeders so need to have fertilizer tabs. They don't need a ton of light but they do better with it. If given the right conditions they can get huge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I had the best luck with Anubias tied to rocks with fishing line. My goldfish wouldn't nibble at the leaves but would yank at the roots, so the plants would sometimes slide off the rocks. It was a constant battle between the fish and me. :) They would ruin everything else I tried.

I loved how Amazon Sword looked planted in a pot--while they lasted. You can see details about my former setup here (and a video of my goldfish messing with the plants): http://gardensandgoldfish.com/two-common-goldfish-in-a-40-gallon-tank/

I liked having the Pathos growing in the tank. They eventually grew all around the top and down the outside of the tank.

Ask a Question