Aquatic plants in a stand-alone vase

The PondFather

The PondFather with my Grandson enjoying my pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I recently moved to Florida and grabbed a couple tropical marginals for when I get a new pond down here. Illinois was at 11 degrees this morning. We're climbing to 80F. YES and that goes for my plant pair too. Just wanted to share my idea of spreading aquatics around your place like on a deck or patio for example, and not just in your pond.
First I plugged the hole in my decorative vase. I used a small vase but go larger if you want more plants!
I added planting media and importantly, removed the plant from its shipping container. I've seen too many ponds where the lily or marginal they purchased was left in the shipping container where it will suffer and probably die eventually. I also added Aquascapes once-a-year fertilizer to boost the plants growth. An Umbrella Palm is pictured and I also did a Papyrus. They'll outgrow these containers but I'll have several months of enjoyment from them.

Attachments

• replant last.JPG
    replant last.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 368
  • replant 4 fert.JPG
    replant 4 fert.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 367
  • replant 2.JPG
    replant 2.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 355
  • Replant 1.JPG
    Replant 1.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 372

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
T
Why do you reference Aquascapes in every post? I consider this spam. Please stop.
I hate to criticize a new member but I have to agree with you, @dieselplower. It's all about the money.

They also have a cable show called "Pond Stars" that is a shameless plug for all things Aquascape. What really upset me about the show was a particular episode where they released clearly diseased Rainbow trout into a new water feature. They went on and on about how healthy and happy the fish were, yet the trout were obviously sick and lethargic, with shredded and deformed fins and clearly visible lesions.

It's all about the money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That show is a big disappointment. I was excited at first thinking I could learn from it. Mostly it just raises questions: Whoa - what did they just do? Are they filling the gaps bertween those rocks with anything? Did they just drop that 2 ton boulder directly onto the liner? Is that little 'tire patch' sufficient where he sliced through he liner? I wouldn't be too happy if I was that customer. That's awfully shallow. How many days before those really expensive fish get eaten by the local critters?

It's just another stupid show for voyers who want to watch people goofing around building neat looking aquariams or whatever but don't want to actually own one.

Those poor fish. How long did they think trout could survive in that transport tank with no areation? The customer wanted brown trout. I'm to believe after spending many thousands he is thrilled that rainbow trout were substituted without even asking - yea right!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They also have a cable show called "Pond Stars. What really upset me about the show was a particular episode where they released clearly diseased Rainbow trout into a new water feature. They went on and on about how healthy and happy the fish were, yet the trout were obviously sick and lethargic, with shredded and deformed fins and clearly visible lesions.
I was told that it has been cancelled. and yes, anybody watching with even minor fish experience probably noticed those trout were not right. Very odd, particularly that the homeowner accepted it.

I'm to believe after spending many thousands he is thrilled that rainbow trout were substituted without even asking - yea right!
My guess is that it was a made for tv situation, as most reality shows are.
There will never be an educational pond show on tv that leaves out the fake drama and goes into detail. I'm not sure why that is, but tv is just not educational in any sense anymore.

Ask a Question