Aquatic Plants Surviving Winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first winter with my new pond. All summer I have been collecting aquatic plants and would like for them to survive the winter All are hardy in my zone (Zone 7). I have a bog filter filled with plants, but not so worried about it because the water is flowing and shouldn't freeze.
I also have a shelf on one side of the pond (pictured) that does not have moving water, am I in danger of loosing these plants if we get a deep freeze this winter? Is there anything I should do to prevent this?
I've read that as long as the root ball doesn't freeze the plants will be fine, but not sure how to prevent that for marginals like my cardinal flowers.
Any suggestions?

20201031_145425.jpg
20201031_145435.jpg

I live in Zone 7

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hardy plants should be just fine. My bog doesn't have moving water in winter and the plants always survive, Cardinal Flower being one of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies, I finally got some water lillies tubers and they had special winter instructions and it got me thinking about all my other plants.

Ask a Question