Are albino sterlets rare?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your are asking about Acipenser ruthenus they appear to be for sale from several sources here in the USA. Segrest Farms has them on their site. It's been awhile since I contacted them but Segrest did not sell to the general public. They go through fish distributors. Find a 'mom and pop' privately owned pet shop and see if they will special order the fish for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
they call them sturgons here

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1630603067447.gif
@Hinglemccringleberry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had an albino sturgeon that went from 1 foot to 3 foot in 12 months, as mathis said how big is your pond as they require a lot of room, also lots of air, another thing they need feeding all year round even in winter which if your other fish start eating there food in winter can be a problem for your other fish, they have very poor eyesight so baskets of plants in pond are a hazard for sturgeon and there snouts are very sensitive so you would need to remove obstacles, theres lots of hard work involved with keeping sturgeon, i used to feed mine through a tube and drop the pellets in front of its snout to keep the other fish from hoovering them up. also the pellets are very high protein so the other fish start to resemble "barrels" after a while of eating them, saying all this they are stunning creatures truly prehistoric and if you spend time with them they will become very friendly and eat out of your hand, mine was called brain:)P1000375.JPGP1000360.JPGthis was a diamond back that really grew ended up at over a metre:oops:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have no idea what that is and is there such a thing? Ok so I had to go look that one up and yep it's a real thing or should I say human. So here we go!
1630604113437.gif

1630605157552.gif
@Hinglemccringleberry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sterlets don’t really get bast a few feet long compared to the other massive sturgeon species. So they can stay in a decently sized pond their whole life . But nobody sells them ornamentally outside the uk it seems.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
See them for sale occasionally, but not very often in the U.S.

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i had an albino sturgeon that went from 1 foot to 3 foot in 12 months, as mathis said how big is your pond as they require a lot of room, also lots of air, another thing they need feeding all year round even in winter which if your other fish start eating there food in winter can be a problem for your other fish, they have very poor eyesight so baskets of plants in pond are a hazard for sturgeon and there snouts are very sensitive so you would need to remove obstacles, theres lots of hard work involved with keeping sturgeon, i used to feed mine through a tube and drop the pellets in front of its snout to keep the other fish from hoovering them up. also the pellets are very high protein so the other fish start to resemble "barrels" after a while of eating them, saying all this they are stunning creatures truly prehistoric and if you spend time with them they will become very friendly and eat out of your hand, mine was called brain:)View attachment 142432View attachment 142434this was a diamond back that really grew ended up at over a metre:oops:
Caught this sturgeon last year definitely catch and release don't want to get caught hear in TN with that prehistoric beauty

Attachments

• 635.jpg
    635.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 15

Ask a Question