Are all elephant ears suited to aquatic life?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm wondering if they can all go in planters in the pond? I thought I'd put a couple in the soil around the edge and one in a pot within. Does anyone know?

I have a couple I got at Sam's Club that are MAMMOTH. They look like a part of an elephant, but not the ear. (Ahem.)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There is a little confusion as there are two species that are commonly referred to as "Elephant Ears", Alocasia and Colocasia. Although the two species resemble one another the cultural requirements are quite different. Alocasia prefers well-drained soil whereas Colocasia prefers constantly wet soil.
You need to determine which of these species you have before placing them in the pond. Only Colocasia is likely to survive constant immersion. Alocasia will likely die from root-rot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
There is a little confusion as there are two species that are commonly referred to as "Elephant Ears", Alocasia and Colocasia. Although the two species resemble one another the cultural requirements are quite different. Alocasia prefers well-drained soil whereas Colocasia prefers constantly wet soil.
You need to determine which of these species you have before placing them in the pond. Only Colocasia is likely to survive constant immersion. Alocasia will likely die from root-rot.
Thank you! I was wondering what the difference was. I will go down and check the label on the ones I have. It's very fun to think of planting soon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well -- no scientific name on either variety. Just "Mammoth Elephant Ear."

But both are from Costa Rica and the fine print says "tolerates wetness, even standing water." So I think I will give them a try!

Ask a Question