Are aquarium ornaments ok for my outdoor pond???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an outdoor raised pond and I want to know if I could buy ornaments for it like you would see in an aquarium.

I assume there is no reason you wouldn’t be able to but just wanted to double check.
Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As long as they don’t have any sharp edges, or narrow spaces where fish could get trapped, it shouldn’t be a problem.

But, what’s the purpose as you won’t be able to see them, and the fish will knock them over and move them around.

Fish like places to hide, but most of us make decorations or caves out of rocks or PVC pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As long as they don’t have any sharp edges, or narrow spaces where fish could get trapped, it shouldn’t be a problem.

But, what’s the purpose as you won’t be able to see them, and the fish will knock them over and move them around.

Fish like places to hide, but most of us make decorations or caves out of rocks or PVC pipe.

thanks. I was just going to get one that is a decent size whilst they are still small to add some decoration.

it would provide cover and an added element for my children but I appreciate as they get bigger I will have to evaluate it.
When you say PVC pipe is that just to a great a tunnel of sorts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
it won't be very long before they're algae-covered and you can't tell what they are...tried it, found out the hard way...put some oxygenator type plants in instead and you'll gain more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I would think they would be fine. Maybe larger plastic garden decorations could be used also. Put in what makes you and your children happy. Enjoy your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I moved some of mine into my pond this year. They've all stayed relatively clean and in good shape.

Ask a Question