ARE CROWS A THREAT TO GOLDFISH?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Never considered it, actually, rarely see crows around, but saw one on 2 occasions today, apparently stalking my pond. The first time it was just overhead, watching. Second time, I saw it fly down to the pond, then fly away when it saw me. Couldn't tell if it was "hunting," or just getting a drink.

I did a GOOGLE search, and most info says they're more likely to scavenge already dead fish, however, they ARE highly intelligent birds, sooo....

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I see crows around my yard a lot.
they come in and scavenge dog food.
I do see them getting water from the bird bath never seen them go to the ponds.

They are smart but I don't think they are brave, I say brave because they always seem to go for the easy meal.
I don't see them as diving/jumping in to a pond and trying to catch a fish.

Ruben

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ruben Miranda said:
Hello
I see crows around my yard a lot.
they come in and scavenge dog food.
I do see them getting water from the bird bath never seen them go to the ponds.

They are smart but I don't think they are brave, I say brave because they always seem to go for the easy meal.
I don't see them as diving/jumping in to a pond and trying to catch a fish.

Ruben
That sounds like what I read about them -- the "easy meal" part, and they're mostly scavengers. Funny, that I've been wanting to attract birds, so I get a crow ;) And he's welcome as long as he leaves the fish alone.... (Oh, and he needs to entertain our cats, as well -- indoor cats that LOVE to bird, squirrel, lizard, and rat watch from the back windows :) )

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've seen crows many many times out in the front area and never seen them go to the ponds themselves. Maybe for water or just to check things out but I doubt they would actually hunt for fish for a meal.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
I've seen crows many many times out in the front area and never seen them go to the ponds themselves. Maybe for water or just to check things out but I doubt they would actually hunt for fish for a meal.
Yeah, there are enough neighbors with dogs, that I'd think there would be an abundance of dog-food-leftovers to satisfy them. This is the first crow I've seen this close to home, though.

Reaction score
The article is pretty good, but I have to wonder at the reliability of someone who says, " Some birds, like the larger heron species, can be as tall as an average-size human." The largest heron in the world, the Goliath, tops out at 5 feet. The Great Blue is the second largest and gets to about 4 feet.

Reaction score
Never had a problem with crows personally. They often visit my pond for a drink but never have harmed any fish. Seem them attack frogs though

Ask a Question