Are lead weights safe in ponds?

Reaction score
I need to weigh down a pipe in my 2000 gallon pond. I had thought of using a lead diving weight for this purpose, but now I am concerned that the lead could leach out into the pond water.

Any thoughts on the safety of a lead diving weight in a pond with plants and fish?

Thanks,

Ram

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They have been using lead to weigh down plants for many years in Aquatic outlets if your worried about it buy some pond paint and give the diving weight four coats of it .
We use a traffic cone weight to keep down our spindrifter bubbler over the 4" bottom drain I believe it has large amounts of lead in its makeup but with four coats of pond paint we have no problems with leaching out ....

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just want to say hi from a town over :). I'm in need of reducing my fish stock, do you need some goldfish ;D

Reaction score
A trick I stumbled across somewhere along the way to hold a pipe down is to run the pipe through the center hole of a concrete block or brick. Lead would probably be just fine, but concrete brick or block is probably less $$$.

Lead weights and foam floats and bobbers both use to be really easy to find around the fishing camps. Can't seem to find a good selection anymore.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You could get diving weights in neoprene covers, or the plastic-encased ones, but as far as exposure, there wouldn't be a difference with neoprene. I know, I wondered about the environmental impact of "ditching" weights, too, but don't know the long-term effect. Good question!

Ask a Question