Are my fish ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thank you for allowing me access to your many years of experience. I hope someone can help

I have various types of fish in my pond, koi, goldfish etc. They have been absolutely fine and thriving for about 4 years. It looks as if they have recently been mating but for the last 2 days they have all lined up at the back of the pond facing the wall like naughty children! I have never noticed this behaviour at any other time so is this something to worry about?

Many thanks
D794C750-840D-4185-A68E-F5C82D60DFF5.jpeg
D794C750-840D-4185-A68E-F5C82D60DFF5.jpeg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like they are in school..............

No clue, mine tend to hang out in various areas together.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! :)

Have you tested the water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! Tell us a bit more about your pond - how many gallons, what kind of filtration, did anything else change prior to this event (added new fish, added something to the water, alien invasion? haha!)

Many times fish will be fine for a few years, but the one thing that we don't take into account is that the fish continue to grow - the added size can add more stress to the pond and affect your water quality. @Gemma asks a good question - have you tested the water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you everyone. Water has been tested and is absolutely fine. I just couldn’t understand why, all of a sudden, they have taken to staring at the back wall! Normally they wander about in schools of 4’s or 5’s but after 3 or 4 days of frantic chasing they have now Just stopped, nearly quite literally!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Again, thank you to everyone. Will wait and see if they snap out of it. They could very well be exhausted I know the feeling!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Fish are very weird! Mine do this thing where they will all group up, like yours - and face the same direction, totally still - for no apparent reason!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Only have four koi, but I know when they finish spawning, they lay low, not moving much.

Ask a Question