Are My Goldfish Doomed ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of my employees needed to make some extra money. Today his day off he went to my house to do some yard work. He was suppose to do some yard clean up, I was at work. I have a 300 gallon pond with 5 goldfish, I could not believe they all made it thought a harsh winter. Early spring water had turned green, I was waiting for it to clear by its self. When I got home today water was clear and 1 fish was swimming on its side, others where glupping air at surface. I could not believe he changed water without asking. I have city treated water. I had a large bottle of prime next to pond. I called him and asked if he added anything to the new water nope. I poured the whole bottle of prime in pond. I guess it is a waiting game now. I thought pond froze solid this winter and all fish died, so I kind of see these as my miracle fish. I can not blame him he thought he was doing a good thing cleaning the pond feels bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Increased aeration, with regular small water changes + Prime is what I'd do if it were my pond. Sorry this happened and hoping they pull through.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I can not blame him he thought he was doing a good thing cleaning the pond feels bad.
Actually has happened to some tanks I know with horrible results. On the good side you are dealing with really resilient fish. Increase O2! Anything will help. Biggest air pump you have with a big stone, something to break surface tension on the water. We’re not injecting air, simply providing the medium it needs to get into the water. Stay with SeaChem and get some Stress Guard in there. It works wonders. Are/How are you filtering? The above poster was right on the money. Keep up the Prime dosage with every water change. Ween off the SG when/if they come around and I hope they do.:oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish must have some cat in their DNA they seems to have 9 lives. I only lost 1 fish, they are not acting normal though. I find them at surface or in a group on bottom not moving. I bought a large air pump and have 4 air stones attached. I am worried that the pond is now not cycled,, I did not change medium in filter, but don't know if chlorine wiped everything out.

Ask a Question