Are sand bags safe for fish and koi?

lovesgirl

30,000 gal pond
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hubby wants to put sand into the traditional woven polypropylene bags and use them to cushion rocks in the water. Is this safe to do? the play sand and the bags?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would not recommend this method as over time the poly bags will develop tears and/or holes allowing anaerobic conditions to develop within the sand. This could cause problems.
What type of liner did you use in your pond? Liners differ but can withstand considerable pressure without ripping or tearing. A piece of underlayment place under large rocks can provide added insurance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have left sand in those bags and it was above ground but was used to divert water around certain spots in my yard and 3 years after they fell apart and the sand stunk to high heaven .Smelled like an open sewer and was green .

lovesgirl

30,000 gal pond
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would not recommend this method as over time the poly bags will develop tears and/or holes allowing anaerobic conditions to develop within the sand. This could cause problems.
What type of liner did you use in your pond? Liners differ but can withstand considerable pressure without ripping or tearing. A piece of underlayment place under large rocks can provide added insurance.
we have the more expensive EDPM 45 mil liner. But some of these boulders are almost a ton. Do you think just some felt underlayment is good enough?

lovesgirl

30,000 gal pond
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have left sand in those bags and it was above ground but was used to divert water around certain spots in my yard and 3 years after they fell apart and the sand stunk to high heaven .Smelled like an open sewer and was green .
icky! that doesn't sound good LOL I will think of another option LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you check out ponddigger on you tube he uses huge rocks and he uses the heavy duty under liner under his rocks .There are 3 thickness in under liners .Yiou can get the thicker underliner ay living waterscapes in NC 8401 Endicott rd Colfax NC 336-782-0339 and they will even guide you in how to do it right .There online is www.livingwaterscapes.com

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
we have the more expensive EDPM 45 mil liner. But some of these boulders are almost a ton. Do you think just some felt underlayment is good enough?

Yes, this is the accepted procedure used by most reputable pond contractors. If worried, double or triple layer the underlayment.

Ask a Question