Are There Any Fern Plants do Well in Bogs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Title pretty much sums it up. For some extra details I'm looking for something that will do well planted in pea gravel w/o any clay or soil. It is in a bog so the roots will be wet 100% of the time. I'm looking for something on the smaller side 12-18" tall and wide in zone 7. Evergreen is ideal, but not required. I know this is a very specific/detailed ask so I'm hoping there is at least one fern guru out there. Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Eastern Marsh Fern (Thelypteris palustris) is native to your area and very beautiful. I can't recall the specific names of any more at this time but will check in some of my books for other marsh ferns. I want to thank you for your post. It has motivated me to include ferns!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thelypteris palustris)
I HAVE this growing along the edge of my pond. Though it is doing very well , roots running into the water and the fern has more than doubled. it's not as fast a grower as i would like in the bog. you can see it on the upper right corner of the photo.
Pond iluminated (1 of 1).jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is most beautiful in nature and in your pond @GBBUDD! It is one of the plants that I keep in my reference notes for 'someday I'll' do...
Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
moss and ferns are my favorite plants I love Japanese fern

this is the same year and the ferns have reached full size
Pond fern (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
moss and ferns are my favorite plants I love Japanese fern

Thelypteris palustris looks perfect. Size should be about right for where I want to put it. I also noticed you mentioned Japanese ferns... Are you referring to the Japanese Lace Fern? I've seen mixed feedback on if it can take full time wet soil. Do you know if it will also do well with roots that are always wet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Humm, you got me thinking too.

We have lots and lots of ferns in our yard. There are a few different kinds too and they are all natural to the area.

I'm going to transplant some into the bog this Spring. I think they will be fine. We'll see!

Thanks for the idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thelypteris palustris looks perfect. Size should be about right for where I want to put it. I also noticed you mentioned Japanese ferns... Are you referring to the Japanese Lace Fern? I've seen mixed feedback on if it can take full time wet soil. Do you know if it will also do well with roots that are always wet?
I HAVE TRIED IT IN THE YARD IN THE PAST LOVE THE COLORING OF IT BUT IT DID NOT DO WELL BUT I WAS TRAVELING AT THAT TIME SO WHO KNOWS WHY IT DIDN'T DO WELL.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF you make a pouch with landscape fabric it will hold the soil and the roots will grow right through it.

SET

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I HAVE this growing along the edge of my pond. Though it is doing very well , roots running into the water and the fern has more than doubled. it's not as fast a grower as i would like in the bog. you can see it on the upper right corner of the photo.View attachment 156204
Your pond lighting is absolutely beautiful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Eastern Marsh Fern (Thelypteris palustris) is native to your area and very beautiful. I can't recall the specific names of any more at this time but will check in some of my books for other marsh ferns. I want to thank you for your post. It has motivated me to include ferns!
The Eastern Marsh Fern looks so cool but unfortunately for me it can't be shipped to Arizona. I'm just getting started adding plants to my pond, waterfall, stream and bog. I saw this post and I've always wanted a fern and I planted one in my yard once in the shade and it died I'm not much of a green thumb like my dad.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fern sun or no sun does not do well in high heat. IT would need a bed of peat and leaf matter that was constantly Moist, Not so much soaked but its roots will grow out into the water. In a hot summer the fern will wilt and die if it doesn't cool off.
you maybe able to get some tropical strains to do well down there

Ask a Question