are there solar pumps?

beeliz

Beeliz
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are solar pumps available? I want to build another pond in the back next spring,but I don't have power out that far,and won't run an extension cord as I have animals and kids..so do they exist? and are they expensive?
Thanks
~

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have seen them on the net, not sure how well they work.

Reaction score
beeliz said:
Does anyone know if there are solar pumps available? I want to build another pond in the back next spring,but I don't have power out that far,and won't run an extension cord as I have animals and kids..so do they exist? and are they expensive?
Thanks
~

You will probably discover that a solar pump is not practical. Why not rent a small trencher and run some 12 gauge 20 amp through PVC Electrical Conduit on a 20 amp GFI from your main breaker panel. If you need tips we have talented folks here. My back ground is in industrial motor control circuits but I do a lot of home type wiring. If you use 3 wire romax with ground you can even run two circuits with one wire.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a friend who uses a solar pump. Poor power and very unreliable. Our ponds are over 150' from our house. We have run electrical cable underground and have a power station for each pump. Just make sure to use GFI outlets.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
You will probably discover that a solar pump is not practical. Why not rent a small trencher and run some 12 gauge 20 amp through PVC Electrical Conduit on a 20 amp GFI from your main breaker panel. If you need tips we have talented folks here. My back ground is in industrial motor control circuits but I do a lot of home type wiring. If you use 3 wire romax with ground you can even run two circuits with one wire.

I agree, I have run several circuits to mine and I loce the convenience of outlets and being able to switch some of them,

Reaction score
the ones I have seen are small and batteries will only go so long. most of my solar lights have not lasted 6 months. so unless it has really good batteries it would not be reliable. it may work in alaska during the summer.

Ask a Question