Are these baby tadpoles or goldfish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
hi, can you help me identify these new inhabitants to my pond? I can’t tell if they are fish babies or tadpoles. (We have two sarasa goldfish and three koi. And plenty of frogs.) There seem to be a hundred of these guys swimming around suddenly. We caught one to inspect.

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Congrats on getting a photo of that little guy! Although it is still hard to get details from that pic I vote tadpole as I can't see any fins, 100s suddenly appeared and when first born they are more streamline than their typical "fat head" shape.

Additional photos will help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Also. I have a fish that has been laying low all day. Uncharacteristically (? spell check isn’t weighing in on that one). Near the surface. Labor?!

Attachments

Reaction score
Also. I have a fish that has been laying low all day. Uncharacteristically (? spell check isn’t weighing in on that one). Near the surface. Labor?!
Fish don't really "labor" like a mammal. They spawn and it's far from a sedentary activity! She may be recovering from a spawning, which may mean you'll have more babies on the way. Best approach is to stop feeding your fish when you see the behavior and pray they eat the eggs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Congrats on getting a photo of that little guy! Although it is still hard to get details from that pic I vote tadpole as I can't see any fins, 100s suddenly appeared and when first born they are more streamline than their typical "fat head" shape.

Additional photos will help!

Attachments

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
I’m concerned I’m going to have a thousand goldfish in my pond soon. What do I need to know about population control?

Ad

Advertisements

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nature will take care of some of them. For the rest, you can trap and cull. See if your local pet store will take some, advertise (Craigslist or a local ad), ask around to see if anyone wants them...... But whatever you do.....don’t turn them loose in area lakes or ponds (at least, not without the owners permission).

Culling is a concept that’s hard for me, but it is a fact of life, whether you do it or Mother Nature does it. I’ve never had quite that many fry at one time — that I was aware of — but still I never ended up with more than about a dozen or so survivors. Yours are so tiny now that if it was me, I would leave them alone for a while and see what attrition takes care of.

Ask a Question