Are these good plants for pond border?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So in the future I am planning to have probably a 10x10 ft and maybe 5 feet deep pond installed. I want this pond in deep shade because most of the plants I want around the pond are shade lovers. I came up with some ideas of plants to plant near the border of the pond. Not marginal, they're not going to be in the water at all, just around it. So here they are: bamboo, hosta, Japanese painted fern, japanese iris, petasites. Are these good choices to plant around the pond? I am mostly concerned about moisture requirements of these plants. I know petasites and Japanese iris won't have a problem but I'm not sure if bamboos, hostas, and Japanese painted fern would like to be near water. And if there are any other plants you would like to recommend for my zone in 7a, that'd be great.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I do believe hostage will want quite a big of water.
I would not do bambo around the pond
They are very root avasive and are very capable of growing out and running you liner.
If you are,doing to use them I would say go out a foot or so from your liner edge and dig down at least 2' and pour a concrete border/retaining wall and help stop th he roots heading to your liner.

Ruben

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Before having your pond installed (a rather large expense), give very careful consideration to its physical location.

By placing this pond in deep shade you will expose the pond to leaf-drop at a large rate, necessitating constant cleaning and constant water-quality issues. You will also rob yourself of the ability to grow water lilies and many of the marginal plants that keep the pond water clean and clear.

Rather than plan your pond around the needs of your terrestrial plants, you should instead focus on siting your terrestrial plants around the main feature, which is the pond.

Ponds, like real estate................location, location, location.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Plus you don't want to place the pond so far away from that house that it is a trip to get out to it .You want it in optimum viewing area .You want to enjoy it .Hostas and ferns love damp areas .Liriopi and even mini cattails in and out of the water any ground covers work .You never want any thing that may get to tall from where you view the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Why would ponds have more leaf drop if it's in the shade? Because it's under trees? Well what I was thinking was to have one very close to the foundation so the shade would be provided by the house, not the trees. And most water loving plants like shade.. like Japanese painted ferns, hostas, petasites, yellow waxbell.. all of which I love. And the only area I can plant these would be by a pond since they need the moisture. And I also love moss! I want a huge patch of moss and a shady pond would be just the perfect place for it. But yea I guess no bamboo then.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
So, you want a water-soaked area close to your foundation? IMO (not having seen a photo of your proposed pond site), I would suggest that the pond be located so that it receives the needed 4-6hrs. of sunlight required for growing marginal (for balance of water parameters and for water clarity), while creating a lined, bowl-like structure in the shade of the building for the growing of the shade plants that you desire.

As to bamboo piercing a 45mil EPDM liner, I don't think so.

Not unless you were to make little bamboo bullets out of it and shoot it at the liner.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here's a rather long, but interesting read on bamboo -- a sort of "everything you ever wanted to know." There were points made about growth patterns and about 1/2 way or so down, they mention creating a barrier [for whatever that application was] and they recommended a material greater than 45 mils -- BUT I don't think they were referring to EPDM [I was skimming the article, so don't recall exactly]. There was something else about ponds, but they didn't specify what type of "liner" just that bamboo will seek out water.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/FAQ general.htm

Ask a Question