Are these plants showing signs of a nutrient deficiency?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Top is aquatic forget-me-not, and bottom is marsh milkweed (Asclepias incarnata ). Both are planted in the bog. They seem to be growing well, but there seems to be a lot of color contrast between the green with yellow.

And if so, what would be good solutions?

A5CE41F3-CDEE-461C-9A60-20F516E1A7A6.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Would a nutrient deficiency present with a more definitive yellow color? The plants that you have posted look pretty good to me as well, but I'm not an expert by any means.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They look good to me to but when my water lilies would yellow up I would stick part of a steel wool pad in there to iron things up a bit. If yours do get really yellow it could be lack of iron.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As usual, pictures don’t do justice! There is more yellowish color present than it appears — though it all looks green in the pics.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@j.w Is it OK to put steel wool pieces in the bog?

Yep it's just iron and I put it in my pond lilies pots when I used soil in them. Now they are free of any media tho. Just cut off maybe a fourth or a half of the steel wool pad and stick it under individual plants that look like they need it.
Yellowing can also be caused by a calcium deficiency.

@Lisak1 posted in this thread that she used steel wool in her bog: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/various-plant-questions.18917/
She wrote:
I was going to add a tip about iron - my bog plants were showing signs of yellowing the first year so I buried steel wool pads in the bog near the roots. They greened right up!

Here are some links showing results of using it in plants: http://www.1000sciencefairprojects.com/Kids-Science/The-Absorption-of-Iron-in-Spinach.php

jim2k(mississippi):https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2154474/epsom-salt-on-plants
Old nails,metal shaveings,steelwool works on anything that needs iron fruit,nut trees, roses any bush.I use a gal.jug steel wool fill with water let stand for 4 to 5 days or until water is red rusty looking use gal.on trees about 1/2 cup on bush and roses.I use 2tbs Epson salt per gt.water around bush and roses.hope this helps JIM

https://waldo.villagesoup.com/p/toms-tips/1733951

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup! I did exactly that and it worked like a charm! The beauty is you can put it right where you need it, unlike fertilizer which likes to go where it likes to go!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@j.w and @Lisak1 I guess what I was concerned about was having teensy particles of steel wool that could migrate into the water. I’ve been stabbed by these splinters in the past and was worried if any came in direct contact with the fish. I found some pads sitting on the back porch, left over from a project a while back. In fact, because of our wonderful humidity, some are already rusting, soooo......

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I read this post and now my bog is going yellow! I have got my fish load down to 3 adult koi and 12 1-2 year olds that for the most part will be rehomed. Now I'm wondering if i'm starving my bog. Total pond volume is 4000+ gallons with 2 55 gallon barrel filters plus Savio waterfall filter. Is it possible to have a bog fail from lack of fish poo? Should I use pond tabs or just keep some of my precious babies?

Ask a Question