Are they mating?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This morning I went to feed the Koi and I found some of the fish following my biggest one. Half of them are all over her! She swims around the pond edges and shakes her tail around the plants that are in the water. After she does this most of the koi go to that area and act interested. Then they go follow her again. This goes on and on in a few different parts of the pond. Is she with eggs and ready to mate? She is probably just under two years old and about 16 inches long. Her belly does not seem larger than normal but she is a fatty. I took a video but don't think I can post it here so here is a link to it.

Make sure to turn the video settings on the cog to 1080 so it plays well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Great video of typical spawning behavior! I always feel sorry for the females...it must be exhausting (I know, don't humanize the situation...but I can't help feeling for her)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This morning I went to feed the Koi and I found some of the fish following my biggest one. Half of them are all over her! She swims around the pond edges and shakes her tail around the plants that are in the water. After she does this most of the koi go to that area and act interested. Then they go follow her again. This goes on and on in a few different parts of the pond. Is she with eggs and ready to mate? She is probably just under two years old and about 16 inches long. Her belly does not seem larger than normal but she is a fatty. I took a video but don't think I can post it here so here is a link to it.

Make sure to turn the video settings on the cog to 1080 so it plays well.
You must live in a warm climate for your fish to be behaving like that! Mine all have there fur coats on and don't want any koochi koochi till next Spring :love:

Ask a Question