Are they usually this big!

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I ordered a Water Lettuce from Amazon and I thought it would be like 3 inches across. It came today and it is like 9 inches across. It's huge!
Is this normal? All the pictures of people's ponds the Lettuce looks smaller.

Reaction score
They grow and grow and then in the late summer they start turning yellow and that's it for them. I anchor mine with fishing line and a small metal nut so the don't float into the skimmer and stay in the location that looks best.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had some the size of dinner plates .They more than likely used fertilizer

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It looks like there is a baby plant with roots within the big leaves. Do I need to pull that out?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No let it get roots and the stem will get longer and will break free on it's own from the mother plant or can stay attached with no problems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Typically I get two water lettuces and two water hyacinths and I am getting rid of hundred of plants by mid summer because they multiply so fast. Those little shoots will sprout new plants. It must be a mature plant because it takes a while for them to get that large.

Ask a Question