Arrowhead plants winterizing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What do you do with arrowheads plants? I leaves are dead and the bulbs are left. Do you keep them under water or take them out and keep them in a dry, warm place until next year?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are a number of plants with the common name 'Arrowhead', but in a pond situation, you are likely talking about a species of Sagittaria. Most commonly grown Sagittaria species would be completely hardy in USDA Zone 7a and can be left in your pond over Winter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There are a number of plants with the common name 'Arrowhead', but in a pond situation, you are likely talking about a species of Sagittaria. Most commonly grown Sagittaria species would be completely hardy in USDA Zone 7a and can be left in you pond over Winter.
Thank you. If i take them out and keep the bulbs in a dry place (similar to cana’s or elephant ears) would that kill the bulbs for next year?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you do need to store the tubers out of the pond over winter, keep them in a damp situation, not a dry one. However, this is usually not necessary.

Actually, some Sagittaria, such as Wapato (S. latifolia) are harvested in the Fall and Winter, for their edible tubers. Of course those tubers are eaten, not replanted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
With my arrowhead plants, I yank as many of those suckers as I can (not just in the fall, pre-winter, but most of the growing season as well) and pray they don't climb out of the pond, climb up the hill, crawl into my house & eat me in my sleep.

Seriously, though, when the top foliage dies back I cut off anything brown, leaving the smaller rosettes of foliage that are still green below the water line (but yanking out about half of what's there), and ignore them until Spring, when they will once again try to take over our small corner of the world.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The very best pond plants are a bit of a juggling act.
One reason I do a purge, yank of plants and root mass in the fall, actually get down to naked pea gravel in spots. By fall totally grown over, with at least 3 thinnings during the summer.

Ask a Question