Artificial grass carpet to line shelf

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think my rocks and the critters that visit the shelf may have poked a hole through the liner.

I have cleaned my pond and am removing the rock from the shelf. I am think of lining the shelf with artificial grass carpet from lowes. It says
100% UV BCF Olefin. Is this something that would hurt gold fish.

Reaction score
Probably fine ...though after you patch the area(s) you could look at just tacking down an extra layer or two of liner along the shelf with the seaming tape?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Probably fine ...though after you patch the area(s) you could look at just tacking down an extra layer or two of liner along the shelf with the seaming tape?
I will look for the hole but not sure I will find it. May be behind the edging. This area is all flag stone. I folded the liner under the chop block and then back over the top. The chop block is the wall of the shelf. Then laid the flag stone back on tip to hide the liner. I was thinking at some point to replace the whole liner. It used to be when I filled the pond the water level was just below the flagstone. Now it seem to go down a few inches pretty quickly. Then after that it could just be the splash from the water effect or evaporation.

Good idea on the extra layer of liner. I wonder if I put it down with silicone if it would seal off any puncture that was there.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd strongly encourage you to look for that leak before you start patching things on top of it. It's highly unlikely that a stable rock punctured the liner - did something fall into the pond? And small animals won't put a hole in a liner unless they chew it - EPDM is pretty tough stuff. It shouldn't be hard to find the leak if it's isolated to the top shelf. Basically allow the pond to sit until it looks like you've stopped losing water and then you know it's above the water line.

Back to the artificial turf - what would be the purpose of putting that in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I always lay a piece of extra liner whenever sitting anything on my shelves. I don't glue it, just lay it there and put the item on it, whether it be a plant, rocks or whatever. It would be good to glue it, but if there's water already in the pond, it's not really doable. You would have to lower the water, thoroughly clean and dry the liner. So I just lay it there. The item will hold it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It shouldn't be hard to find the leak if it's isolated to the top shelf. Basically allow the pond to sit until it looks like you've stopped losing water and then you know it's above the water line.

Back to the artificial turf - what would be the purpose of putting that in the pond?

I bought patch material today. I am going to pull the rock off the shelf tomorrow and have a look. Liner is so wrinkled, part will be by touch. I will put water just in the shelf area and then add a bit of milk. See if that tells me anything. I don't recall dropping anything heavy. We do have raccoons around here. That was my suspect.

I am going to use the turf on the shelf. Should provide a bit of decoration, hide the liner, and protect the liner. Won't see a lot of it with the spitter, pot plants, a bit of cholla wood and some stone.

I built this as a young man when my neighbor bought a tree. The container was 28 inches deep. I thought ... dig a pond. The container keeps the wall from caving. I dug it deeper than 28 inches because I wanted a shelf to hold a skippy filter made out of an urn and some plants. I add a smaller round tote at one end. Unfortunately it is now higher than the rest of the pond. It provides sort of a damn. So I think I will turn that into a marsh for plants, hide the top with cholla, and use a spitter to keep it full. I really need to pull it out and redo the whole thing. But I am no longer a young man. At some point I will get a helper and then redo my pond but for now I just want to get it up and going again. If I run the water on a timer twice a day for 10 minutes it stays mostly full even with evaporation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always lay a piece of extra liner whenever sitting anything on my shelves. I don't glue it, just lay it there and put the item on it, whether it be a plant, rocks or whatever. It would be good to glue it, but if there's water already in the pond, it's not really doable. You would have to lower the water, thoroughly clean and dry the liner. So I just lay it there. The item will hold it.
My understanding that while some glue might hurt fish, silicone sealant would not. If I had some extra material I could cut to fit and silicone the edges. Pretty much like caulking a bathtub. Seems like that would work. Works on my glassed in shower stall. But I don't have any extra material. The patch kit stuff is $5.00 a foot.

Ask a Question