artificial plants and koi

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Hello every one, I am looking for thoughts on artificial plants for my pond next year, for the bottom, to replace the oxygenators, i found that along with pulling my lillies out of thier pots, my koi destroy thornwort also. i am going to make a pvc floating plant cage for hiacynths to protect thier roots. the cage will be 6' round on top,5' on the bottom,and 6" deep.wrapped with a good fine mesh netting for protection. this should also help with the heron that ive ran off,afew times. i run an additional aerator,with 2 five inch valcano discs anyway, in addition to the waterfall, and a small aerator in my biofilter. does anyone have artificial plants in thier pond(s) i will use real marginals, and my 12 pots of lillies. i have artificials in my basement pond and the fish leave them alone. i also have rubber lizards in my basement pond and they like to grab thier tails and drag them around the pond,and shake them like a dog with a chew toy,is this normal koi behavior?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I see no reason why artificial plants can't be used. I have seen some that are very lifelike. They will require cleaning periodically.

I don't think koi playing and moving stuff around is abnormal, they are just amusing themselves.

I made an island out of PVC for the same reason. It provides a place to corral plants and also provides shade.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes, the can look pretty realistic, i have them in my basement pond,but in the basement uv rays arent fading them out. and other weather factors arent working to their detrement. but my koi are just to destructive,ive talked to them about it but its like, they just dont understand me or just dont care!!!lol

Reaction score
I see no reason why artificial plants can't be used. I have seen some that are very lifelike. They will require cleaning periodically.

I don't think koi playing and moving stuff around is abnormal, they are just amusing themselves.

I made an island out of PVC for the same reason. It provides a place to corral plants and also provides shade.

Artificial plants are best for ponds because they are not dead. When we planting nearby any pond the algae harms the plant. Artificial plants are best for ponds.

Reaction score
you have to watch out for them eating/picking at them...ive seen some who have had the pieces block their digestive system and the eventually die

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
not having teeth, it would be rather difficult for a koi or goldie to bite off a piece, unless the artificial plant is severely dry rotted,or U.V compromised. i have them in my basement pond, and they leave them alone.my concerns are about longevity of color and material.

Reaction score
I use them in my pond to give them places to hide in the winter. They seem to leave them alone, but my fish are well behaved and leave the real plants alone too. I am lucky because if I tried to discipline them, I don't think they would listen either :) The only issue I had with the fake plants, is that I have to really bury the anchor into the gravel or I'll find it floating.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well, just like in my base ment pond, im gonna take black material, put a half a dozen marbles and the plant stem end in it with a ziptie. they stay where you put'em and sway with movement of water. i buy mine at MICHAELS CRAFTS my sister is a manager there, so i get 20% off, and they're already way cheaper than aquarium or pond stores, and they have some even more realistic looking plants. if yove seen my basement pond videos you can see, they do look good and they cost me about $10.00 minus the lotsus. which i bought at a pond supply.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
well, just like in my base ment pond, im gonna take black material, put a half a dozen marbles and the plant stem end in it with a ziptie. they stay where you put'em and sway with movement of water. i buy mine at MICHAELS CRAFTS my sister is a manager there, so i get 20% off, and they're already way cheaper than aquarium or pond stores, and they have some even more realistic looking plants. if yove seen my basement pond videos you can see, they do look good and they cost me about $10.00 minus the lotsus. which i bought at a pond supply.

Are your artificial plants plastic? I've been considering this route of artificial also. I would like some nice tall plants to put in the bottom. I think it would help with my scared fish. I would've thought you'd need to get a special type of artificial plant for a pond vs something from Michaels. I'm guessing as long as it doesn't have the metal "stem" encased is plastic, it would be ok. Do you happen to have pictures of your 'fake' plants?

Ask a Question