Assistance with New Filter Setup

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I built my pond last spring and it's around 400-500 gallons. It's around 8' long, 3'-4' wide and between 2'-3' deep. For the most part, it went well. I started the pond with a Laguna Powerjet 3000 with a 2 chamber submersible filter. Later I added a 2 gallon bucket with 1" of lava rock & some of the blanket batting on top, fed with a MagDrive 7. I have 3 lilies growing as well. Here's a photo of it in the beginning, before the bucket and lilies were added:

I had issues with green water and the pond just didn't clear up beyond the upper 6" or so. I'm looking to remove the submersible filter and replace it with some sort of external filter. My Laguna PowerJet 3000 pump crapped out and I replaced it with a MagDrive 18 during the summer.

I plan on using the MagDrive 18 for the external filter and moving the MagDrive 7 over to the fountain. Looking at the flow rate chart, I should be able to get a good amount of flow through it. I'm planning on putting it between the palm and the pond.

Since it's still cold out, I figured I'd start looking into what I was going to build. But after a lot of reading, I'm confused. I read about a skippy filter, but they recommend only using a stock tank. I don't believe I've got the room for that. I thought I read somewhere that a 5 gallon bucket filter is good for about 100 gallons and that a 55 gallon container is good for about 1,000 gallons. I've found some designs where they use different sizes of gravel to sand in different levels and others are using just many different pads. I'm getting confused as to which is better for my use.

I simply would like to find first what size container would be sufficient for my pond. My wife's not sure of my plans yet, so not sure how happy she'll be with a trash can next to the pond. So maybe some sort of smaller container that's less of an eyesore or can be hidden a little.

Then what type of filter design would be good for filtering out green water, probably more mechanical. Also, would be easy to maintain. I assume the MagDrive 18 should be fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A UV sterilizer should end your green water problems. You can work it into your current system, and hide it behind a board attached to the fence!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm still looking to replace my current Laguna submersible filter. Way to much maintenance to pull it out and clean. Any ideas on the type of exterior filter I should look into?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Build a plant filter .You can hide one of those small stock tanks or you could use a clay or plastic pot .If you put lava rock in the bottom and grow plants in it that should make it less noticeable .Those fiberglass ones like at lowes or home depot would look good .I saw on you tube that one of pump makers sells a urn filter ,not sure how expensive it is but you could do something like it cheaper .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57794]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57796]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a pond about your size, and I can tell you now that 1800GPH might be too much coming from one spot. I just tested my 1200GPH pump I got on my 400 Gallon pond and had to turn it off instantly because the fish were getting tossed around like rag dolls lol. But then again your pond is deeper than mine as well, I can agree with HARO on the UV clarifier as it will clean your green water right up, but you will need the right flow rate for that wattage.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Your Laguna pump should still be under warranty, get it replaced! And personally, I'm not a big fan of canister (pressure) filters for ponds. Having said that, there are thousands of pond owners who swear by theirs, so I guess it depends on what you're willing to do around the pond, and how often. If I was BUYING a filter (as opposed to DIY), I would go for something like the Laguna Powerflo Filter Falls 5000. Overkill on a small pond, but it would run all season with only minor upkeep. Similar filters are available for smaller ponds, but usually messier to clean. The ONLY solution for your green water is a UV unit, but you will still need a filter to remove the dead algae.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thats EXACTLY what I built my 27 gallon DIY Filter from HARO, Laguna Filter Falls 5000... which is in a very small pond right now and is indeed an overkill but does a PERFECT Job :banana:
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3756]

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Don't build a Skippy. Build a moving bed filter. That's the only way to go. That's what commercial companies use to clean waste water. It's easy to build a mini-one. Instead of static media, use K2 or K1 media. If you want to go fancy, add an air pump to it.

More later (I have teens to deal with).

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'd LOVE to try building a moving bed filter, but at the cost for media to fill a 50 gallon drum, I'll have to win a lottery first!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
HARO said:
Your Laguna pump should still be under warranty, get it replaced! And personally, I'm not a big fan of canister (pressure) filters for ponds. Having said that, there are thousands of pond owners who swear by theirs, so I guess it depends on what you're willing to do around the pond, and how often. If I was BUYING a filter (as opposed to DIY), I would go for something like the Laguna Powerflo Filter Falls 5000. Overkill on a small pond, but it would run all season with only minor upkeep. Similar filters are available for smaller ponds, but usually messier to clean. The ONLY solution for your green water is a UV unit, but you will still need a filter to remove the dead algae.
John
Mine was a used pump, so no warranty. I had the MagDrive 18. The Powerflow Falls 5000 looks nice, but kind of big. It says it needs a 2000 - 3000 gph pump, so I'd have to get a different pump. I was looking to do an external gravity filter, pump in and gravity flow out.

So, UV is the only solution to green water. This was my 1st year with this pond, does this mean I'll get it every year or is this something typical for the 1st year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
sissy said:
Build a plant filter .You can hide one of those small stock tanks or you could use a clay or plastic pot .If you put lava rock in the bottom and grow plants in it that should make it less noticeable .Those fiberglass ones like at lowes or home depot would look good .I saw on you tube that one of pump makers sells a urn filter ,not sure how expensive it is but you could do something like it cheaper .
Would a plant filter be sufficient for my filtration or would I need something else? Also, how would I clean out the debris? Would this basically be a bog or is that something different?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Green water is one of the great mysteries of ponding! Some ponds suffer with it every year, while some NEVER get it. Mine usually starts out clear in the early spring, turns green in late spring or early summer, then clears almost overnight in early summer. I have two UV units, but seldom use them, preferring to let nature run its course. However, if the bloom persists, the UV will clear it up in a few days, and can then be removed, cleaned, and stored for the next time it's needed. A bulb, by the way, lasts about one year of ponding if used continuously. If you use it the way I do, you can get ten years or more out of it.
BTW, I run the water garden department at a local garden center, and carry Laguna, with a few odds-and-ends from other companies. Most pump failures are due to broken impellers, which can be replaced for between $12. and $65., depending on the pump. A lot cheaper than a new pump, at least of that quality!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
HARO said:
Green water is one of the great mysteries of ponding! Some ponds suffer with it every year, while some NEVER get it. Mine usually starts out clear in the early spring, turns green in late spring or early summer, then clears almost overnight in early summer. I have two UV units, but seldom use them, preferring to let nature run its course. However, if the bloom persists, the UV will clear it up in a few days, and can then be removed, cleaned, and stored for the next time it's needed. A bulb, by the way, lasts about one year of ponding if used continuously. If you use it the way I do, you can get ten years or more out of it.
BTW, I run the water garden department at a local garden center, and carry Laguna, with a few odds-and-ends from other companies. Most pump failures are due to broken impellers, which can be replaced for between $12. and $65., depending on the pump. A lot cheaper than a new pump, at least of that quality!
John
My impeller was fine, it would run about 15-20 seconds then die. After being shut off for about 5 minutes it would run again for 15-20 seconds. I think the overheat sensor was bad, but not sure. Got tired of trying to test it after about 40 times. I had the other pump, so I gave my dad back the Laguna pump.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
HARO said:
I'd LOVE to try building a moving bed filter, but at the cost for media to fill a 50 gallon drum, I'll have to win a lottery first!
John
You don't need a 50 gallon drum filter for a pond of this size. That is the beauty of moving beds. Also, I've used cut up drinking straws and I'd say they'd work just as well for home use.

Reaction score
What is a moving bed filter? If it was my pond I would install a waterfall and put a nylon bag filed with lava rock in the waterfall and let the good bacteria take care of your algae. In my opinion UV is just a band aid.

Ask a Question