At last the covers are off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well thats it the koi are now without their winter covering of Polycarbonate roofing and the net is back in place after a bit of a struggle untangling it from its cycles first in the washing machine (no soap) and then the dryer "an idea of Val's that has extended the life of the net keeping it in immaculate condition" :LOL:
We also cleaned the first filter of its winter muck and my god was it dirty but a quick pressure wash cleaned the matting the pads and brushes and the replacement bag of zeolite went in I also cleaned the vortex also draining 40% of the ponds water for the water change.
Last but not least prior to topping up the filter we added half a large bottle to the filter left it in the air for a hour then in water for another before switching everything back on.(y)
Remember its at this time of year your fish can fall foul of the Areomonas Hydrophila bacteria and others which we dont want maintenance should be done to your own filters and if you have dead leaves in the pond detritus etc clean in with a pond Vac and our fish are all ready for the season :cool:
Then we can all chill by the pond without a care in the world throughout the summer months :D

Dave)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good for you getting the fish out in the open now. Does that mean nothing but nice hot weather from now on? We can hope :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
you added half a large bottle of what to the filter?

Im sure it feels great to have the cover off :)

Oop's thats what you get from friends arrivinng and my lack of a short term memory Maria :D Ok so I added half a bottle of Mircrobe_lift PL filterpad innoculent gel to the filter to give it a healthy boost ;)
Tula yes it is I just love this time of the year (y)
Yup j.w. I sure hope it is :cool:
Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Oop's thats what you get from friends arrivinng and my lack of a short term memory Maria :D Ok so I added half a bottle of Mircrobe_lift PL filterpad innoculent gel to the filter to give it a healthy boost ;)
Tula yes it is I just love this time of the year (y)
Yup j.w. I sure hope it is :cool:
Dave
Damn! When I read about half a bottle, I looked around, and the only half bottle I found was rum! Do you think it'll hurt the fish? :hungover:
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Good Job Dave! Glad to hear the fish are free under the spring sun, and cover is off pond, so soon the fish will be able to catch some flies for supper!
They've been doing that for most of the spring already :LOL: the midges love it under the cover and when we took it off we had quite a cloud of them released now they are just hovering by their pond and chilling with the neghbouring midges (y)

Dave ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Had our good friends Darren and Shell ovver this afternoon, I think we converted Shells daughter Connie wh'os ten into an instant koi keeper when we took her outside to the pond and allowed her to feed them :)
The she made friends with our cats ahh well kids eh ??? :D theres always the next time :)
The visit did have a a sadder note attatched with it however as Darren has entrusted us with the ashes of our dear friend Carrie who passed away.
So that we may scatter some ourselves in a place that had fun attatched to it in our earlier youth where we would gather with other friends in the setting of Plymbridge woods just outside of Plymouth for afternoons of Picnicing and swimming in the river Plym :)

Dave ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question