At the cross roads between filter types - need help...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello fellow members !!!

I have a 2500 in-ground pond in the Florida sun.

Filter is an old Nitramax by AZ Ponds. ( A converted pool sand filter )

This filter doubles as Biological and Mechanical filtration but it doesn't filter very well mechanically and it doesn't back wash unless I manually stir the media with my arm before switching the valve to back- wash mode.

Lately the filter has been showing its age. I thought about rebuilding the valve but it is fairly obsolete.

So my options as I see them are as follows:

A Pricey Koi Pond Filter such as the Ultima $$$$

A new pool sand filter that I would adapt to koi pond duty by changing to a koi pond media instead of sand.

A DIY design such as those floating around the web.

Any filter I decide to implement will change the basic lay-out of the pond as far as the filtration goes…. I will change the location of the filter, reduce the number and angle of piping bends to and from the filter, add a pump pit so as to lower the pump below the pond water level, add a pre filter and or possibly a Siff style filter.

An absolute MUST in this project is that the filter be able to back-wash.

I’m a little undecided about the DIY type since I’m not aware of any of these that truly back wash.

Any ideas, comments etc greatly appreciated. J

BTW For some reason I’m not able to view photos in this forum .

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My husband built a Sand and Gravel filter this Spring and it works well and can be back washed, with a blower. Our pond is smaller then yours, at 1700 gallons.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband built a Sand and Gravel filter this Spring and it works well and can be back washed, with a blower. Our pond is smaller then yours, at 1700 gallons.

Thank you for your prompt response. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're right ! Most design compromises leave something on the design table.

This is the reason I said I would add something to the filter either before or after .... probably before to reduce the load on the filter .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Come to think of it ..... If I have to add something in front of the main filter to keep it so a back wash will make it ready to filter again and that pre filter is going to get real mucky - that sort of defeats the purpose of having a filter that is back - washable via a valve like a pool filter. ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don;t have a mechanical filter and never have had one .Lava rock, furnace filters and quilt batting works for me .I guess in a way the crate on top of my filter is a type of home made mechanical filter .I know it works

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No, because these are two separate units. One is primarily for mechanical filtration (skimmer) and one is primarily for biofiltration (waterfall filter).
I'm so glad you said that! I always seen it as one single unit, that's why I asked!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been over thinking this.....

Had a skimmer normally sold for above ground pools that worked well as a skimmer for leaves and an occasional fish. It also Td to a valve and bottom pick up so I could gather leaves both form surface and bottom.
I removed the skimmer cause I got tired of emptying in the fall. Instead I would pick the junk from the bottom with a hand held pool skimmer basket thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like I need to dig a pump pit to get my pump and maybe a Sieve below water level ? I just had a fit after I cleaned my filter. Tried sticking the shop vac into it and blowing the media around. Crap, media and water went everywhere !!! Even the fish laughed
smile.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Had to laugh ,should have made a video of that so we could have all gotten and laugh out of it

Reaction score
Country
United States
Had to laugh ,should have made a video of that so we could have all gotten and laugh out of it

I should have some sort of helmet with a Go- Pro Camera. LOL Now Im on the hunt for a square - rectangular type of plastic kitchen garbage pale to make a DIY Sieve. :) Sort of a proof of concept for my amount of flow etc.

Ask a Question