Attempting a pondless waterfall. Do any experts see any issues before I continue?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please disregard the weeds and scattered rocks, but hopefully the trench is visible enough.

I’m trying to build a pondless waterfall, this is what I got so far and I a really have no idea if I am doing things right or wrong. The trench/path is about 8-10 inches deep, the path is about 22 feet long, the reservoir is a little over 2 feet deep and 9 feet wide.

I guess my biggest worry is I did something wrong and it the entire thing may come rolling down one day. I also plan on buying a 6100 gph pump, hopefully that’s enough.

Any experts care to chime in?

j6wzx63wrj571.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Structurally, will probably be fine. Basin needs to be big enough to capture all water in motion when pump is turned off.

Aesthetically, I'd recommend adding depressions behind all your falls so that water can pool before going over each falls. Looks better, IMO than water just falling down a hill. Also, looks better to turn the water frequently. Change the direction of the falls. Makes it more natural and interesting looking. Gives different viewing angles something to look at.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree 100% with @combatwombat . Water flowing down a staircase type falls will have a certain appeal, but nature would rarely create a falls that rolls straight down the hill. The water would carve a path around rocks and twist and turn it's way down the hill. You can create some of those twists with some well placed rocks or logs, but you'll want to make sure you're setting rocks INTO the falls and not ON TOP, if that makes sense. As you're rocking, you'll find you need to carve out spots to accommodate the rocks as you set them.

What's your basin going to be filled with?

Ask a Question