Australian natives?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Australia
G'day all.
I'm currently working towards an above ground pond with a Murray cod and a few tandanas catfish. Just wondering who else here is interested in Aussie natives?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Australia
Lots of interest here, lol.
Oh well my fish are on order now, can't wait!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Australia
I'm getting 10 tandanas catfish and 3 Murray cod, all will be about 5cm or 2" for most of you guys.
Murray cod are our largest purely freshwater fish in Australia growing up to 2m and living for up to 70 years, although I don't expect to get 2m fish, a meter long in the next few years is probably more likely.
images (1).jpg
And the tandanas catfish, while most people would call them ugly remind me of good times down the river fishing as a young bloke.
images (2).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Australia
Murray cod will eat anything that fits in their mouth, up to and including ducks and small dogs (both have been documented) and the catfish eat water snails, worms and some plants. Both will happily eat pellets in a pond, floating pellets for the cod and sinking pellets for the cats.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat looking fish! I just have gold fish, shubunkins

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
Murray cod will eat anything that fits in their mouth, up to and including ducks and small dogs

A dog-eating fish ! exactly what I need to fight off the raccoons !
Imagine their eyebrows go up in amazement when they see
one of their young gobbled up by the cod... They will never bother
us again I'm sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Australia
Just got a message to say my cod and catfish are ready to be picked up, I'll go into town after work on Wednesday and pick them up, can't wait!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Lol, yeah

Nothing wrong with goldfish mate, I would love to have some koi but they are illegal here.
No Mate your wrong on that statement as two States do allow them however there are strict rules around them and they are not allowed to be imported. but as for the rest of your Country they are considered pest and are as such illegal
New Zealand has an all out ban on them because they tend to kill off the native species.
It may be that Australia is sitting on a goldmine Koi wise why ?..... because those two states may just have the only KHV or CyHV3 virus to give it its proper name
free koi in the world , its the wild carp that are the pest not the koi , there was talk about the Authorities wanting to release the KHV/CyHV3 virus in the wild (think again), because your country doesnt have a very good record about introducing things to get rid of other things with the Cane toad being a very good example , just how much damage have they done to your countries wildlife mate .

Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Australia
By "here" I meant that I live in one of those other 5 states where they are illegal, so um yeah, they ate illegal here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
By "here" I meant that I live in one of those other 5 states where they are illegal, so um yeah, they ate illegal here.
@bentaz I am not doubting you that your one of those states my friend but its a shame really because your missing out on such beautiful fish ,
But saying that i find the fish your keeping exiting and with their own unique challenges , such as feeding health issues etc .. .
I will be reading future posts with interest .
May i suggest you purchase this book by an Australian fish vet by the name Dr Richmond Loh which is a brilliant book and one that we have in our large fish health and koi library you'll find he touches on native species :-

https://www.scribd.com/document/641...ials-2011-by-Drs-Richmond-Loh-and-Matt-Landos

It is a book written by Vets and other fish professional's
A word of warning however and it has to do with scaleless fish
I know that in the tropical world there are certain scaleless fish that would die if you attempted to use chemicals to treat them, I just hope its not the same with your choice of fish
You mention they will eat anything from ducks to dogs snails worms etc including pellets , Question are they specifically formulated for these two fish, if not they may be missing out on various essential vitamins and other nutrents ?

Dave 54

Last edited:

Ask a Question