Auto-fill device

Reaction score
My pond installer put in an auto-fill device against my wishes several years ago. It never worked right - we used to prop the "float" with sticks to keep it from endlessly running. Now, nothing works. It's hooked into the irrigation system, which I've shut off to keep the water from running into the pond. Any tips on how I can remove the auto-fill device? Can I just cap it somehow? Or, do I have to do something with the valve box?
Thanks alot!!!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
yes you can cap it off anywere you want,,,i would put a valve on it near your pond ,so you can fill it manually,,,

Reaction score
A landscaping person told me to use a toilet filler for a pond auto-filler. Using a bucket, $9 toilet valve, a few dollars in hardware to fit it to a garden hose, I made one that has been working great for over 3 years. Much cheaper than what I see them sold for at pond supply stores.

:bowdown:

Reaction score
ntellya said:
My pond installer put in an auto-fill device against my wishes several years ago. It never worked right - we used to prop the "float" with sticks to keep it from endlessly running. Now, nothing works. It's hooked into the irrigation system, which I've shut off to keep the water from running into the pond. Any tips on how I can remove the auto-fill device? Can I just cap it somehow? Or, do I have to do something with the valve box?
Thanks alot!!!!

My pond installer put a valve in the basement where the line runs out through the wall. He also installed an air valve to blow out the line for the winter. Could yours have done something similar?

Reaction score
Meekaboo said:
Hey Sumpnfishy,
Do you have any pics of this setup? It sounds very interesting and I'm interested in making one.

Meekaboo,

Don't have a pic handy but I'll take one and upload it later.

I drew up a little diagram and attached it as you won't really see much from the pic anyway (it's mostly under water now). I do take it out in the winter.

Other than the 5 gal bucket, I purchased everything off the shelf at Lowes. I'm sure Home Depot or any hardware store carries the items I used. I did paint mine green and put the lid on just to protect the plastic valve from sunlight damage.

Best way to figure out the hardware is to find the proper valve type (its a straight shaft type unlike the type with the long arm and the ball on the end), take it out of the box (they might give you looks in the store), and find the proper fittings to adapt it to the garden hose connection.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Attachments

• pond filler.JPG
    pond filler.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 563

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I lost all my Koi a year ago because of an auto fill that failed. The only way I recommend one is to put 2 in series so they both must be open for water to get added. That way if one fails, your fish are safe. I had water going into my pond at the rate of 6 gallons a minute while I was at work all day.

It is easy to do but does add an little more effort and a few bucks to the cost. Small price to pay since my Imported Japanese Koi breeding stock would cost me about $6000 to replace.

Reaction score
Thanks DrDave. I'll keep this in mind if I decide to go with an auto fill.

A few years back, I put the sprinkler on over the pond so my fish could 'play'. I got distracted. About 6hrs later I remembered it was on. My fish were dead. Luckily, I didn't have thousands of dollars worth of Koi. Just five $0.19 fish. It still hurt though.

Reaction score
I have an 4" drain /overflow at one end of the pond so it wouldn't be a big deal if it got stuck on. I also divert rainwater to my pond so when there's a heavy rain the pond fills to the overflow. Never have had any problems and like Meekaboo my only investment is a few cheap goldfish.

Ask a Question