Auto-Top Off Options

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Does anyone here use some sort of auto-top off solution other than a rainwater harvesting system?

I have an RO/DI system (150GPD) and use it for my saltwater/reef tanks. I am mapping out a way to run a line and hook up a float valve in my skimmer box to keep the level constant. My pond is roughly 1000-1100 gallons. And this way never have to worry about any contaminants getting in (by way of me at least). I could not find anyone doing this via searching and started to think maybe there is a reason why that I have not thought of yet. I will have an easy way to disconnect in the winter.

Appreciate any/all feedback. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Why a valve? I've topped off two different ways (trickle watering system and timer on a hose). In both cases I match the inflow rate to 150-200% of the evaporation rate and let the overflow do its job.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Why a valve? I've topped off two different ways (trickle watering system and timer on a hose). In both cases I match the inflow rate to 150-200% of the evaporation rate and let the overflow do its job.
The float valve would keep the water level and volume constant at all times. And I wouldnt need to worry about conditioning the water because it’s heavily filtered. I don’t have a way to calculate an evaporation rate, would change constantly in my area. By overflow, do you mean pond overflow? I don’t have a built in overflow for the pond unless you mean something else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have the Aquascape auto fill system and it works great...Living in Florida causes a lot of evaporation...It is similar to a toilet bowl ball system and is installed in my skimmer....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have the Aquascape auto fill system and it works great...Living in Florida causes a lot of evaporation...It is similar to a toilet bowl ball system and is installed in my skimmer....
I didn’t know they made something like, but after looking this is essentially what I want to do. I’ll just need different hook ups.

Do you have any pictures of it installed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Timer on a hose. I have roughly the same size pond as you. At around 5 am it runs for about 10 minutes a day. boom. Done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Timer on a hose. I have roughly the same size pond as you. At around 5 am it runs for about 10 minutes a day. boom. Done.
You use tap water right into the pond? No issues with that? I was thinking it had to be conditioned or filtered first.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I bought the Aquascape autoflow valve, and although I have yet to install it, it looks well made. It also came with several different size connectors, which means fewer trips to the hardware store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Here you go..looks like debri in skimmer but there is none so must be a reflection:)

Attachments

• 639E36CA-19CC-46B4-88AA-FCB170681285.jpeg
    639E36CA-19CC-46B4-88AA-FCB170681285.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I took that same idea and went a bit further as if that timer breaks and the water gets left open then it could be disastrous . simple solution is to have two timer boxes that go on at the same time . if one breaks the other will control the flow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I use a auto water float for a animal stock tank, works great and cheap. Have them on my horse water tanks as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mine on a yard sprinkler system. Set the timer to turn on at x time for x long. Can do a rain delay, I can also turn the water on remotely, like if we are not home and I can see the pond is low.

Ask a Question