Automatic water level valve

Reaction score
Does anyone use an automatic water level valve in their ponds. I've seen several videos on how to install them in a skimmer but nothing on how to hook up the hose to a water source. Is there an easy way to do it without having to dig up and tap into the main water line to the house? Also; any problems or suggestions I should be aware of ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
I am currently looking for a 250 gallon tank with a normal hose connection on bottom. It will gravity feed to the auto fill unit in skimmer. I will have it hidden off decm near house and it will be attached to downspout off house for rain water to collect. I will drain it completely in fall before freeze. I just keep missing good deals. Plan to paint tank green to hide more as well. As for the buried hose it will be buried just under grass and in a pex pipe so it won't crush. I can blow it out with air before winter as well

Update just found 1000ltrs with all fittings for $50. This is just my route which is simple and I hope to be effective.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
I've been using and advocating drip water change/ leveling system for years and suggested it many time to people looking to install a more complicated trouble prone automated water float leveling valve but I don't recall ever seeing anyone ever follow the advice, or at least replying in their thread that they did.
The article that Eric linked to doesn't mention that you can simply install a regulated drip emitter on the end of the 1/4" line to get a more precise regulated drip rate (eg: 1 GPH, 2 GPH, 3 GPH, etc..) , nor does it mention the need for an overflow area somewhere on the pond at the level you want to maintain the ponds water level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Interesting but does seem like you still need to drain some water on a regular basis or the bad stuff still accumulates as it isn’t a water change just water replacement. Salts for instance will accumulate.

Reaction score
Interesting but does seem like you still need to drain some water on a regular basis or the bad stuff still accumulates as it isn’t a water change just water replacement. Salts for instance will accumulate.
Actually, an automatic float valve would be "just a water replacement" system, a trickle fill does actually do an automated water change as water is constantly overflowing out of the pond as new water is trickling in, albeit very slowly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been using and advocating drip water change/ leveling system for years and suggested it many time to people looking to install a more complicated trouble prone automated water float leveling valve but I don't recall ever seeing anyone ever follow the advice, or at least replying in their thread that they did.
The article that Eric linked to doesn't mention that you can simply install a regulated drip emitter on the end of the 1/4" line to get a more precise regulated drip rate (eg: 1 GPH, 2 GPH, 3 GPH, etc..) , nor does it mention the need for an overflow area somewhere on the pond at the level you want to maintain the ponds water level.

Interesting. I figured that article would have the same info that his video on the same subject does, but perhaps not. @Mucky_Waters thanks for advocating this method. I don't remember anymore if I found it because of you, but I know you advocated for it and I must have understood the overflow part from this forum if not from you. (You need an overflow for rain anyhow.)

Regardless, this is a great method to get a topped off pond with a bit of water change as well.

Ask a Question