Automation

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't found much information online about people using automation / controllers with there pond, I have a Apex controller which I used for my reef tank, thought id give it a try on the pond, figured I would use it to control my pumps , uv, lights, fountain pump along with the temp, and ph, controlled by my phone, I'm assuming cost / setup (and keeping controller out of weather) is a big factor in people not trying it, or maybe just not necessary, any thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would guess that using something outdoors that's designed for indoors would indeed create issues with keeping it dry. And maybe even the extreme temperature changes would be hard on it.

Another factor to consider is that some of the things you mentioned (pumps and UV for example) run all the time, so there's no need to have an external control. I use simple inexpensive timers designed for outdoor use to control my lights and aerator. And I don't know what you mean by controlling the temperature - are you planning to heat your pond? And no clue what you mean about pH - I don't know how you would auto control the pH on your pond... or any other way for that matter!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would guess that using something outdoors that's designed for indoors would indeed create issues with keeping it dry. And maybe even the extreme temperature changes would be hard on it.

Another factor to consider is that some of the things you mentioned (pumps and UV for example) run all the time, so there's no need to have an external control. I use simple inexpensive timers designed for outdoor use to control my lights and aerator. And I don't know what you mean by controlling the temperature - are you planning to heat your pond? And no clue what you mean about pH - I don't know how you would auto control the pH on your pond... or any other way for that matter!
Agree, with Lisa....most things in the pond run all the time, and aren’t really as high maintenance as reef tanks can be. Most of us use plants to maintain water quality and balance in our ponds.

If I remember correctly (never used one but thought about it) apex controllers can enable you to check on your reef tank via phone. It allows you to turn off heaters in the tank if one sticks on, you can control the ph, calcium, alkalinity in reef tanks by dosing. The controller enables you to turn off and on remotely, the various reactors that provide these functions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
actually the Apex controller is an over glorified (spelling?) timer,
so yes as far as pumps/ uv not really necessary to have on/off control from phone or computer,
the temp and ph are probes which monitor their values (not controlling ph or temp, although that could happen)
I had the controller(when on my reef tank) to send me a text if the paramaters were off, so lets say temp probe reading got above 85 degrees it would turn off my lights.... many possiablities

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You could always try it since you have it already. Just cheap outdoor timers would cost less than having to build some type of enclosure for the Apex to keep it out of the weather.

Reaction score
Country
United States
jhn, u are correct with everything you said,
they are however costly, so I could see them not being used for a pond......
surprised that I cant find more people trying automation with their pond, maybe Samsung smartthings? have that right now controlling my pond fountain (a lot cheeper way to control stuff)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
jhn, u are correct with everything you said,
they are however costly, so I could see them not being used for a pond......
surprised that I cant find more people trying automation with their pond, maybe Samsung smartthings? have that right now controlling my pond fountain (a lot cheeper way to control stuff)

Yeah, the Apex’s aren’t cheap. Even if I just had one sitting in my house not being used, I would be hesitant to put it outside even in an enclosure, but like you the thought would cross my mind.

Reaction score
Country
United States
mitchm, thanks for the link haven't seen that before (not sure why it didn't pull up on a search), do many people use them ? jhn, already have an enclosure, that's what originally got me thinking:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Again - "automation" exists in the pond world. There just isn't that much that needs to be controlled! I have my coffee maker on a timer so the first cup is ready when I'm on my way out to sit by the pond when the weather is nice, if that counts!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
A lot of dedicated koi pond owners use the Seneye.
Everything I've read tells me that it's a good device, I just have no use for it because my pond is ice covered for most of the year.
Otherwise I would get one myself.

I have a Profilux for managing my sw, fw, mushrooms, greenhouse and solar. I wish I could adapt it for outdoors, but the powerbars and probes are just not designed for outdoor use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads