Babies suddenly appear

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My pond is still new as I really got it going this Spring. Started with 5 shubunkins. The pond is about 1500 gallons with a waterfall, bog and small upper pond that is a solid hornwort and red luigia jungle. No fish in that little pond , just trap door snails. The lower pond has 2 water lilies and 3 large pickerel rushes that have formed a dense mass in the middle of the pond. In floating rings are 2 spider lilies and one dwarf bambo.

While feeding the original five gold fish, a 2” shubunkin appeared. Then another one showed up followed by a couple more. I got out my original fish food that is the small floating type and got food to the new guys. As I was celebrating their arrival, a small school of really small shubunkins came out of the plants and devoured the food. What a surprise. Not sure how many are in there but probably more then I saw. Looks like there was at least two spawns a different times. This experience really made us happy!

Now I hope the little guys grow fast enough to have a good chance of making it through the winter. I have ordered winter food for the large shubunkins. Wondering what to feed these new arrivals.

Happy ponders here. And my net has worked so far to keep the herons out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Congratulations!!!!

Once our babies were big enough to come out of hiding at feeding time; I started to lightly crush some of the pellets, and sprinkle them in. Babies gobble it right up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh how fun! Your babies will do just fine - they survived the most dangerous time in the pond... the egg stage! I don't even worry about feeding the smallest ones - they find plenty to eat just poking around in the pond. Algae, tiny microscopic critters, and who knows what all they find to eat! And they'll even try to eat the bigger pellets, just pecking away at them!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't feed mine either they do just fine. Come spring see the tiny ones are now bigger.

Ask a Question