Babies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I was cleaning the pond Saturday and found four babies. 2 about an inch long and 2 about half an inch long.
I new my fish were trying to spawn but I was not aware that they had. They sure become mature fast.
When will they start to get color?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had some of my koi have color start around 3/4". Still have a bunch of pure black. Years ago I ordered pure black koi from Japan, ended up with bronze Chagoi and black koi with fins and tail tipped with white.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine all start out black and change colors after about 3 months or about 4 or 5 inch's long .So far 4 have stayed black and hope they stay black

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Three of the four I saw were brown. One of the smaller ones was very light colored with a little orange on top of its head. Though that may be odd as I thought they were all supposed to be brownish black at that age.
I hope it makes it to adulthood so I can see how it turns out. It is still bite sized for some of my larger fish so no guarantee that it will make to adulthood.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
water temps. can make colors change in some of them .Plus like mine interbreeding between fancy tails and koi can effect color

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had at least 50 babies swimming around . Most are yellow with a black spot on the forehead. The other majority are truer to a carps natural colors green and tan. Then there are a few with some color. there's a blue one with small black spots, a couple all white, some black with yellow heads, and orange spotted with white and white spotted with orange. My trap has worked pretty well when there was so many of them but now that I'm down to a dozen or so the trap is working slower and slower or fewer caught each day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What kind of fish? My goldfish fry generally start out black and stay that way for at least a year, some longer. My shubunkin fry start out tri-colored, pretty true to their adult colorations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
What kind of fish? My goldfish fry generally start out black and stay that way for at least a year, some longer. My shubunkin fry start out tri-colored, pretty true to their adult colorations.
My two comets are the oldest at over a year. So I guess the fry would be from them. I do have some shubunkins that are fairly good size, say about 4 inches though. This could possibly explain the fry with the color.
Funny I didn't think any of them were old enough to spawn. Woops :wideyed:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I have had at least 50 babies swimming around . Most are yellow with a black spot on the forehead. The other majority are truer to a carps natural colors green and tan. Then there are a few with some color. there's a blue one with small black spots, a couple all white, some black with yellow heads, and orange spotted with white and white spotted with orange. My trap has worked pretty well when there was so many of them but now that I'm down to a dozen or so the trap is working slower and slower or fewer caught each day.
Nice pond! Funny some of your Kio have longer snouts than I have seen before. A genetic trait I guess. I have a shubunkin that is blueish with orange spots. She has a shorter more rounded snout than any of my other fish. She reminds me of a chubby little salmon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had a late spawn start here too, as I’m giving away the big babies from this spring. I’ve got like 10 so far, from tiny as a mosquito larva to 1/4”ish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Congrats on the babies @Panzer13 , I've yet to have baby goldfish but seem to have baby minnows every year.
Yes I was surprised. The only way I found out was I was thinning out some of my plants. I have not seen the smaller fry in a while. I think they may have become snacks.
You probably have had fry in the past, but non have made it to adulthood. Oh well natural population control.
I think mine spawned again last week. They had no interest in eating one morning. Which is not normal, they usually eat like a pack of starving wolves. Then they proceeded to tear my hornwort to shreds. I suspect the eggs were there and they were hunting for them.

Ask a Question